Someone Tell Me It's Ok To Say NO

Someone Tell Me It's Ok To Say NO

There just aren't enough hours in the day for all the things I said I'd do.

19
Someone Tell Me It's Ok To Say NO

Confession time! I have commitment issues, but not in the way you think. I over commit. I am a chronic overcommiter, and I have known it for some time. I know the word "no" exists. It's literally the same in like 5 different languages, but when it comes to accepting new responsibilities, "no" is not in my vocabulary.

Take this week for example. I work a full-time job like I said before, and I care for a small household, not that my fiance doesn't cook or do laundry, but I definitely have a hefty share of the housework. That housework becomes a lot more daunting on weeks like this, where we are planning to be gone for the weekend.

As does all of that extracurricular workload, since I know I won't get much time over the weekend to work on any of it. We are going out of town to attend my parents' housewarming party, and I am expecting to bring a small dish of some kind, since its potluck. Something simple, something easy, something I can throw together there. And then my mom calls.

She sees that I have been getting into cake decorating, and she wants me to bring a big beautiful cake for her party. Now, I could tell her no. She's an understanding person. If I say, I have a lot on my plate, she would believe me and graciously accept the chips and dip I would bring instead. But the idea of baking a cake for her party and showing off my newly learned skill is too much for me to pass up.

Sure it means I will have to spend Wednesday night baking the cake and making the frosting, and then Thursday night piping dozens of buttercream flowers, and then Friday night assembling the whole thing after driving two hours with it in my lap, but it sounds like fun, so why not.

media.giphy.com

So I come to you now, while the cake is cooling from the oven, and the frosting is setting in the refrigerator, to beg you, somebody tell me it's ok to say no!