Not Everyday Will Be Your Best And That Is OK

Not Every Day Will Be Your Best Day And That Is OK

It is easy to feel guilty for needing to take care of ourselves, but in order to better your quality of life you must acknowledge how you can better yourself.

219
Olivia Romano

Every single day is a fresh start. 24 hours to recharge and connect to what makes you, you. But what happens to us on the days, weeks, months where we do not feel connected to ourselves? Do we stop being us? Or are we simply just a different version?

Most days I feel motivated. Eager to wake up, have an early morning coffee, workout, and seize the day. All of which sounds particularly easy right? What if I told you that some days these are the hardest things to do.

No matter how physically capable or ready we may be to face a new day head on, some days we just do not have it in us mentally, to carry out our daily lives. This does not make us weak, labeled depressed, or even selfish; it makes us human.

Some days we must focus on self care. Acknowledge that it is not always easy to be connected. What we need are tools to unwind and get comfortable with the idea of self care. To understand that on the days when we feel like an extension and not our best selves, that we are still us!

Today I woke up later than usual. I woke up at 9 am, instead of 7 am. I went to the gym and could not complete my usual run, instead I walked. I was not feeling strong enough to utilize my usual tool to clear my mind. With this I felt defeated.

Well, because yesterday I ran for an hour, I strength trained and later in the day I took a cycling class! Simply just because I wanted to. My body felt strong, capable, but so did my mind! I told myself I was going to crush my goals, so I did.

So today on my drive home from the gym, I felt disappointed in myself. Stuck in a mental loop of frustration toward my will to not do the things that I typically enjoy, well. But as I pulled into my driveway, I caught myself. I recognized that even though I was not 100% myself today, I still showed up. Which is all I really can ask for.

Even though I was not the most energetic, mentally tough, inspired version of me that I normally am; I am still me. Once I understood this, I felt at ease. Because the truth is, not everyday will be your best day. And that is just fine.

We must take care of ourselves and explore the acts of self care. Today, I should have acknowledged my mind and spirit. I should have listened to my mind, and understood that I was exhausted. I needed those two extra hours of sleep, I could have used a day off at the gym instead of pushing my boundaries.

The truth is you are only productive, when you are mentally ready to face the day with a clear mind, full heart, and smile. I should have opted to read a book, light a candle, and drank some tea. Instead of forcing myself through the motions of daily circumstance; learn to recharge and connect to what makes me, me.

Everyday IS a fresh start. So that means everyday we wake up slightly bettered from the day before. So this is a reminder, to be grateful for yourself and all that you are capable of. We create our own paths and the means of which and how we live.

So what, I was not as productive today as I was yesterday? That does not mean I should spiral into self hatred! Yet utilize that as a moment to reconnect, slow down, and find the path of self care.

Self care may look different for everyone! I believe that for me personally, becoming more aware of my own personal needs has allowed for me to better not only myself but those around me.

Self care to me, means observing your emotions instead of them letting them overcome you. To listen to your mind and body. To not ignore the signs of the universe telling you to slow down, and to take a moment to relax.

You should not feel guilt or shame in relaxing and taking time for you! Self care is NOT selfish. It is necessary to continuously better yourself and to create versions of you that you're proud of.

Over this past year, I have come more in touch with what serves me. What self care is and how important it truly is. Like I said, every day is a fresh start. On the days that you do not simply feel like you, well that is okay. But what tools are you going to use to recharge and connect back to yourself? Think about it.