It's More Than Just A Wish
Dating

It's More Than Just A Wish

44
It's More Than Just A Wish

People know about Make-A-Wish. They know it's an amazing foundation providing wishes to children battling life threatening illnesses. Little do they know... it's way more than just a wish.

I became a wish granter in hopes to grow in my child life journey, but I didn't realize the impact it would have on my life.

My first wish kid has left the biggest impact on my heart and life, but she's also left the biggest impact on our little college town in Statesboro, Georgia.

Her wish started out rocky because she needed a Spanish speaking translator and there isn't one in the Statesboro area that's a wish granter, but I was determined to grant this wish no matter what it took. A girl from one of my classes was talking about how she was a Spanish major and had experience working with kids over in Tijuana, Mexico. From that moment forward, Hannah and I did everything we could to grant this wish for this precious little girl.

During our wish visit we realized that she didn't have many friends from the Statesboro area because many of her friends parent's couldn't speak Spanish to invite her over to spend the night or go to parties. That's when I knew that we needed her way more than she needed us.

We began inviting her and her family everywhere. We celebrated her birthday with her entire family and my organizations on campus. Then, we hosted a kickball tournament. I wanted everyone to see what Make-A-Wish was all about. I wanted them to see the impact that we have on their life. Little did I know, she was about to change everyone's life that was involved that night.

We started our kickball tournament. A few minutes passed and everyone was asking me where she was. About that time she arrived with her sister, father, and uncle and I watched everyone shift to her. Honestly, kickball was the least important part at this point. Everyone wanted to play with her and her sister and show them how much they were loved.

When I say you could feel the energy, I'm not exaggerating. Everyone was smiling and laughing. Everyone was playing with them like they had known them for years. The field was full of love and happiness. I don't think there was a split second where anyone was unhappy or annoyed that we weren't even playing kickball anymore because it was all about her.

She changed lives that night. We went to leave and I went to say my thank you's and capture some last minute pictures. At that time, the father told the translator that this was the happiest he's ever seen his children. That was the moment when everyone's eyes filled with tears, especially mine.

We had 2 organizations, 2 sororities, 1 fraternity, and an entire professional soccer team present at this kickball tournament. Everyone that was involved that night, I'm eternally grateful for the help I had and for the love you showed my wish kid and her family.

Make-A-Wish is more than just wishes. It's truly magical. It's magical because we're changing lives, making impacts and forming relationships that we will cherish forever.

I cannot wait to watch my little one grow up and I can't wait to grant more wishes.

As for Statesboro, Georgia.. well our hearts are stolen and our lives are forever changed.