It's Hard To Drop Toxic Friendships

It's Hard To Drop Toxic Friendships

A response to my own article.

49
It's Hard To Drop Toxic Friendships
WeHeartIt

In November of last year, I wrote an article titled "It's Okay to Drop Toxic Friendships." In this article, I wrote about how my mom would often tell me while growing up, that there were some people you meet in life who were no good for you. How sometimes these people were most often those you considered some of your closest friends. I wrote that it's one hundred percent okay to drop these types of friendships, because they will help you in the long run. When I wrote this article, I was having a tough time trying to differ between a toxic friendship and a healthy friendship. I had high hopes that after writing it, I'd maybe be a little better at trying to identify a toxic friendship–but it really wasn't all that easy.

Lately, I've felt as if I have been doing really good at differing between the two, but there have been a few mix ups. Toxic Friendships are hard to detect and yes, while they are good to drop...sometimes it's not all that easy. Especially if you think that a friendship you deemed not toxic...is slowly starting to turn into one.

Talking to my mom recently, I've come to realize how wrong I was in writing that article. Not necessarily wrong in the sense of writing it, but just for making it seem so easy in dropping the toxic friendships mentioned. Because dropping these types of friendships can be extremely hard, mainly due to the fact that they can be some of the closest ones you have.

But that's not what this article is going to be about. Though it is along those lines of toxic friendships. This time around, I'm really going to write about just how hurtful it can be to a person when you realize that your friendship has dwindled to the near point of no return.

I'm the kind of person who tends to be able to read people very well. Normally, I can tell with a gut feeling whether or not I can trust somebody or not. But besides that, I never truly go with that first instinct, because I like to believe that people are better than how other people perceive them or even how I perceive them at first. That's just who I am, I like to see the good in people...or even try and find the good that may not even be there.

I'm often pretty lucky when making friends. All of my friends are some of the nicest and genuine people I've come across. But sometimes, I'm not really all too lucky at all and made friends who weren't really all that genuine. Nice? Yes. But other times there are cases where I start to notice the little things that were once hidden.

Friendship is all about knowing someone almost better than you know yourself. Friends are the people who, no matter what the situation, most of the time tend to put your best interest ahead of their own. No one is really the perfect friend. It's hard to be, because in reality, human beings have a nature of being selfish. But even that doesn't stop people from trying to be the perfect friend.

I think that this is the factor that stops me from really dropping the toxic friendships I have in my life. As a person who truly wants to see the good in people, it's the reality that nobody is perfect, that is stopping me from dropping the bad friendships that do more harm than good.

Because let's be honest. I want nothing more than to believe that some of my closest and maybe not so closest friendships, are real. I don't want to think that there's backstabbing or harmful actions involved. No one wants those things involved in their friendships whatsoever.

Dropping toxic friendships is hard, especially if those friendships are those that you don't ever want to see end. But sometimes, it needs to be done. Maybe not now, maybe not a week or a month from now. In the end though and in time, they need to be dropped.

Toxic friendships do more harm than good, and that's a lesson that nobody should really learn the hard way.