It's Called CHRISTmas For A Reason

It's Called CHRISTmas For A Reason

Attempting to call it "X-Mas" doesn't change the fact that it's all about Jesus.

265
It's Called CHRISTmas For A Reason
Gareth Harper

This time of year, everyone is busy trying to prepare themselves for Christmas. Whether it be shopping for the best Black Friday deals, making sure that all of the presents get wrapped, or stocking your fridge for the enormous amount of family members headed in town, the Christmas season tends to get hectic.

We get so hyped up about Christmas, yet we get offended if someone tells us “Merry Christmas.”

I’m sorry, but what?

What is our society coming to, that we prefer the words “Happy Holidays” over the actual name of the holiday? That they put "Merry X-Mas" over Christmas. Are we seriously blocking out the name Christ?

I get it. You don’t have to be religious to celebrate Christmas. You can still celebrate and buy your friends and family presents. You can still decorate the tree, watch Elf, and open presents with your family Christmas morning. Nowhere does it say that you have to be a Christian to do so.

But honestly, if simply hearing the words “Merry Christmas” from the bag boy at Kroger makes you uncomfortable, then why on earth are you even celebrating? I mean, what do you call December 25th? Is it Christmas, or is it X-Mas?

As corny as it may sound, Jesus IS the “reason for the season.” It’s more than just a holiday where a man in a red suit comes down the chimney. It’s about Jesus.

It’s not about spreading joy. It’s not about family. It’s not about presents. It’s not about Santa.

Why? Because without Jesus coming to Earth, we wouldn’t have ANY of these things.

SEE ALSO: No, Being A Part Of A Blended Family Does NOT Mean I Get Multiple Christmases

Sure, all of those things are wonderful during the Christmas season. I love all of them! I love being able to bless people during the Christmas. I love the quality time I get to spend with my family. I love being able to buy toys for needy children or tip the waitress a little bit extra. But it’s about more than that. There’s a bigger picture that we so often miss.

If Jesus hadn’t been sent to Earth, born in a humble manger, we wouldn’t be celebrating Christmas today. He came to save our souls. He came to love. He came to serve. That’s why we share the love that we do during the Christmas season.

Sure, it was much more of a religious holiday in the past. Yes, society has sculpted Christmas into something different - something it shouldn’t be. That doesn’t mean we can forget why Christmas is Christmas.

We give presents because Jesus was the ULTIMATE gift. He was the perfect gift. He was back then and He still is today. It makes me sick seeing all of the people who blatantly are disrespecting Jesus, on a holiday that was meant to be all about Him. How His heart must ache as He looks at us during this time of year.

Christmas is not “about more than Christ.” It IS Christ.

You can celebrate it however you want it. With extravagant presents or none at all. With one Christmas tree or twelve. Regardless of how you choose to celebrate the season, it always has been and always will be about JESUS.

“Jesus was God’s gift to the world, not just for Christmas, but for every single day—your whole life through—and even beyond for all eternity, and for every need that you will ever have.” - Maria Fontaine