It's Being Here Now That's Important

It's Being Here Now That's Important

Sitting outside, looking to my right, I see the sparkling baby blue body of water, which happens to be lake Mendota. looking more attentively, barely vivid to the naked eye is picnic point; a place with a beautiful scenery, worth it after the long trek (note to self never to walk there alone unless I have someone willing to talk to me on the phone for an hour & a half or a prepared Spotify playlist to pump me up).

49
https://unsplash.com/photos/JH9awZyF7-o

With all the injustice our world is facing during this time, whether it's the unjust killing of George Floyd, the continuous rise of Coronavirus cases and deaths worldwide, which never seem to be ending, or the killing of an unarmed Black woman named Breonna Taylor, which was not called attention to until very recently, it is still a beautiful day in Madison.

Thus, I feel a sense of discrepancy in the earth's beauty and the events that have gone down in the past few months.

Walking down State Street, I look around to my right and to my left and see beautiful works of arts on boarded up businesses. Art spurs thinking and action. Art is power, in the form of writing. It can change the world. It is also a great way to express one's inner most thoughts in a healthy, peaceful manner.

I read a variety of powerful messages that say, "Everybody love everybody," "We rise by lifting others," "Stronger together."

This has certainly been a year of struggle, resilience, self- care, challenges, awareness, peace, and reform.I believe there is a higher power that is testing the world to see how and if they can handle conflict in a way that will steer them to make more high- quality decisions.

For those who are struggling during this difficult time, try to take some time to reflect on 10 things you are grateful for every morning. Go for a walk and connect with nature. Call up a friend you have not spoken to in a while and see how they are doing- not only will you feel less alone in your own challenges, but you will make them feel cared for and loved.

Also, try not to think about the future. This is something I struggle with myself, so saying this is a bit hypocritical. But, constantly worrying and asking people, "what if there is a second wave in the winer?" What if school is canceled in the fall? What if I cannot go abroad?" Will not help anything but only make yourself spiral into a negative mindset of pessimistic questions. Instead, try to think about how you can make the most of your life now. Think about how you can help out your community now. Stay in the moment! Be grateful and know that not going abroad next semester is not the end of the world. Airlines will still exist for you to travel after school or sometime in the future. The world isn't ending.

XO,

MB