Is the "College Experience" Really Worth It?

Forget Societal Norms and Do What Makes You Happy

195
Matt Ragland

By the time every kid enters the world of high school, the next milestone of life is often introduced, even as early as freshmen year. That next major step is none other than, college. The oh so glamorous idea of being able to move out for the first time; staying out until dawn; pulling late nights with nothing except you, your textbook, your Keurig, and maybe some highlighters and notebooks is the ideal dream of every pre-high school graduate. In recent years, I have noticed that a lot of students are modifying their “college experience” by commuting instead of living on campus; attending a community college, or not going to college at all. Although I have not had the chance to live on my own quite yet, I would not trade my experiences; memories; or friendships that I have made during my first year at West Chester University. However, is having the ideal “college experience” worth it in the long run?

A big deal breaker for most kids when picking a college/ university is money. By now, I think we are all aware of how expensive it is for tuition; out-of-state fees; living expenses (if you do not commute); books and school supplies; the institute’s meal plan; student health costs in case you find yourself getting sick; and even some extracurricular activities such as sports and Greek life. At the end day, the bills eventually add up. Did I mention the outside costs we do not regularly think of such as gas, groceries, regular spending money need to be factored into the equation? I’m not saying that all of these things need to be paid out of pocket or through student loans. There are a lot of other options that students typically use to pay for these expenses such as scholarships and by working on campus.

If you are not as fortunate and do not have the opportunity to find a job on campus or your scholarship falls through in some way, recently, a lot of incoming college students choose to spend a year or two at their local community college. Eventually, after one or two years they can transfer to a university if they so choose to. If I had not been accepted into West Chester the first time I applied to schools, I would have done this option. When you go to community college, the scheduling is so flexible and convenient that it is so much easier to find work because you are not restricted to business on or around your campus.

Also, it is easier to be a full-time student and have a decent part-time job that you love! Added bonus, the tuition to attend a community college is at least 50% of attending a university. Congrats, no student loans for you! I know it is not everyone's fantasy to attend a community college, but realistically, you are receiving the exact same education as someone who is paying thousands of dollars more at some other university. So who is the real winner here?

You know what is even cheaper than attending community college? Not even attending school at all! Personally, I know multiple people that have decided to take a year off of school; attend a year of school and decide it is not for them, or they just want to work and not even attend school at all. This day in age, it seems like if we want a career that will make us feel safe and secure in finances, we need a college degree. However, there are still plenty of jobs out there that do not require a college degree and that would be jobs in the trade industry.

Sure, you still need some level of education to perform the tasks needed to complete the job, but you do not need to be in school for an additional 10 years either. Even if you don’t go for a trade, there is nothing wrong with taking a year to figure out what you want to do with your life. In my opinion, nothing is better for your mental health than taking a necessary break. Think about it, is following societal norms of going straight to college after high school worth risking you being miserable and absolutely hating the experience altogether? I don’t think so.

The biggest takeaway I want you all to understand is that there is no right or wrong way of living your life after high school. If you want to go to the college of dreams regardless of the price after high school? Cool, fantastic, I’m happy for you. If you would rather modify your college experience to save money? Great, I support you 100%. If you don’t want to go to college at all? Fabulous, do what makes you happy and make your heart feel full. However you decide to live your life post-high school, I hope you are happy, healthy, and thriving.