Is it best to date someone like you?
Dating

Is it best to date someone like you?

The struggle to find the "one"

Is it best to date someone like you?

People who try to play match maker always do so on the premise of people having similar personalities and interests. The intention is a good one but I've always felt it was a bit misguided.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with that. There are a few things you have to have in common for any relationship to form. You have to have the same sense of humor, enjoy the same types of activities. But honestly who wants to date someone exactly like them? It would get boring and probably end in disaster.

Personally, I've always believed I need someone who counteracts me more than mimics me. I'm completely bipolar about attention, I'm excessively high strung, and when my emotions get into something I can fight unfairly. I see that these are flaws, of course, but because of that I know what I need from a guy is for him to counterbalance those things.

I need someone chill where he can calm me and I can focus him. I need someone who can go with the flow no matter what my sentiment toward attention is at that moment and feel secure that I still care about him and I'm not upset with him. And lastly, on the occasions emotions cloud my mind, I need someone patient and forgiving.

On the other hand, I couldn't date my complete opposite either. I couldn't handle a guy who would never go hiking with me. But I also couldn't date a guy who's life revolved around physically strenuous activity. I couldn't date a guy who hated music or books. But they don't have to like my music and books. Similar interests are really important. Even if they go down different veins. But I, for one, think I would be miserable with someone exactly like me.