Is It Actually Important To Read Your Bible?

We are all busy people with busy lives. So is it really worth it to take the time to read your Bible?

54
msnbc

We all live very busy lives. Period. End of discussion. As Americans we are on a constant schedule and clock for everything we do, that's simply the way our culture works. As Christians, we typically know that we should read our Bibles at some point during the day, it's a no-brainer. But do we actually read our Bible?......Honestly....no. Not really.

We are told to do it and we even tell others to do it, but we do ourselves actually do it? Not usually. It is beyond easy to just skip it. Let's be honest, when your day is busy, what's the first thing to go?

So, if we are truly going to read our Bible and make time for it, the first thing to be determined is: is it really that important? The reason why we are constantly putting off Bible reading is because, subconsciously we probably don't think it's important. We know it's importance with our head, but not our heart. Otherwise it would be our priority every day. Can you imagine putting that above getting to work? Or eating lunch?

So. Let's take an honest look at the benefits Bible reading and see if its really worth our time....

Well, the first benefit is that you can hear from God. We often complain that we never hear God speak to us. Considering that the Bible is the living Word of God, it would make sense that the Bible would be a main way that God would choose to communicate to you.

The verse you may be reading that day could give you exactly the answer you need to your completely unrelated problem from earlier in that day. That could come in the form of reading a Biblical story from the Old Testament or the Gospels and having the scenario be similar to your own. Or even gain wisdom from a the poetry in Psalms and Proverbs through which God could speak to you on an even deeper level.

Another benefit of Bible reading is that when you read from it and study it, you are building up your own armor of God. Specifically the Belt of Truth: "Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist," (NIV, Ephesians 6:10-18).

It is important in this world of hate and anger and depression that you guard yourself against those things. Reading your Bible is a primary way of defending yourself against the things of this world that will hurt you. Reading the Bible is for your own good. It will give you peace of mind, strength of mind, and closeness with God.

Peace of mind is another huge benefit. Sometimes, the best thing for your busy day is to take a moment and get some peace in the chaos. "27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."(NIV, John 14:27). If you want to have more peace and calm in your mind during the day...then read your Bible in during the morning.

Another benefit comes from actually studying the Bible, not reading it, but studying it. When you simply read the Bible you lose so much of the context and the meaning. Alternatively, when you spend five or ten minutes on each verse and study it, you will be amazed by the meaning you will get out of it. Delving deeper into the Word literally means just that. Studying the Bible will give you a deeper understanding of everything you read. So be sure when you "read" your Bible, that you are reading it well.

Most importantly, reading the Bible is an encouragement because it draws you closer to God. The deeper you go into the Bible, the deeper you go into understanding God. And that will encourage you because it will allow you to become more aware of God being at your side at all times. "9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” (NIV, Joshua 1:9).

There are MANY other benefits from reading your Bible and I could give you every single possible reason for reading your Bible, but the truth is, no matter what I say, it is up to you personally to decide and be honest with yourself on whether or not you will take your Bible reading seriously.

Because it really is something you should take seriously. It's not a "Christian hobby". It's a defense, an encouragement, a guide, a way of learning, and a way to connect with God. To me....it's a no brainer on whether or not you should read your Bible.

I know myself very well. If I do not read my Bible and strengthen my spiritual life, my worldly life will suffer because of it. So...what do you think? Will you take this seriously?