Iranian Americans Protest in Louisiana
News

Iranian Americans gather in protest at Louisiana State Capitol following human rights injustices in Iran-

30 September 2022

1378

30 September- At noon, a large gathering of Iranian Americans living in Louisiana met at the State Capitol Building in Baton Rouge. Protestors of all ages chanted loudly in efforts to spread awareness of the heinous murder of Mahsa Amini. Efforts continue for the world to hear and be aware of the human rights injustices following the murder by the Iranian Regime.

The Capitol demonstration marks the second protest of the anticipated multi-city demonstrations throughout Louisiana. Last week, protestors gathered at LSU, the University where demonstrators study and teach, to protest and spread awareness of the killing of Mahsa Amini and the unjust internet crackdowns and murder that followed.

Mahsa Amini was a 22-year-old Kurdish women who was arrested by Iran’s religious police for allegedly wearing her headscarf in a loose manner.

While being apprehended, onlookers witnessed police beating her in the head. The regime has insisted Amini had a heart attack, furthering that the coroner found no evidence of trauma. However, leaked medical reports show massive skull trauma.

Her father, Amjad Amini, stated, “They're lying. They're telling lies. Everything is a lie ... no matter how much I begged, they wouldn't let me see my daughter.”

Since then, in Iran, massive internet shutdowns, implemented by the regime, continue. Over 80 cities in Iran took to the streets to protest her killing, alongside those in Europe, North America, and Asia. Lethal force has been used by protestors, with 83 deaths since 29 September 2022.

Protestors chant, “They are killing our family and friends in Iran!”

Iranian Americans living in Louisiana face the capitol to gain awareness of the atrocities from governmental officials in the state. “The government of Iran is not Iran,” protestors repeated.

The United Nations Acting High Commissioner for Human Rights, Nada Al-Nashif, voiced grave concern of the unproportionate and violent response from the Iranian forces against domestic protestors.

Iran’s murder of Mahsa Amini, governmental denial, suppression of intent, and violent responses to protestors compelled Iranians to demand diplomatic and business relationships with Iran and the west to cease, and for freedom and justice to be granted to those within the country’s borders.

A petition with over 5,000 signatures, demanding the firing officials of Iranian diplomatic missions abroad, is circulating. In addition, a letter has been sent to Louisiana Senators in D.C., requesting commendation of the regime, as well as to exert pressure to end diplomatic relations, while also asking to help facilitate unconstrained internet in Iran, and to never host events or negotiate with the Iranian regime.

Letter to Senators Kennedy and Cassidy- here

Petition to furlough Iranian diplomats- here