introvert in college

Finding Like-Minded People, And 7 Other Things To Help Introverts Survive College

It's not easy, but it's definitely possible.

43
Kathryn Hall

College can be an overwhelming experience for anyone, let alone for introverts. I was so nervous not knowing what to expect going into college, and it was scary at first, but I have also discovered so many tricks that will make the experience easier and enjoyable.

College should be fun and a time of self-discovery, and while it can be tempting to lock yourself in your dorm room after a long day of classes, you will benefit so much more from going out of your comfort zone. However, when you go out of your comfort zone, make sure you have time to recharge afterward.

Being a successful introvert is all about knowing yourself and balancing what you do. It's also about time management and having control over your schedule. It's time for no more excuses and not letting the word "introvert" define you because there is so much more for you to discover!

1. Two words: take naps

nap

Every college student relies on naps anyways, and introverts can definitely benefit from a power nap. I'm not saying it's okay to pass out for four hours every day, but a little nap to recharge here and there is totally acceptable because it will make you happier and more willing to put yourself out there.

2. It’s OK to say no 

no

If you're like me, you gravitate towards extroverts. A lot of my best friends are super outgoing and want to go out every single chance they get. That is totally fine because they thrive off of being around other people. They don't always understand when I say I want a night in, but I never regret the occasional times I stay home to recharge.

3. Make your campus smaller

come on

I go to a really big school, so it can be intimidating going in and not knowing where your place is. Try new things you never would have done before to make a big campus seem a lot smaller.

4. Get involved

try

In order to find your small group, you have to be willing to put yourself out there and get involved. Don't waste time on things that don't appeal to you, but go try things that sound even a little bit fun or join clubs involving things you are passionate about.

5. Find like-minded people

yay

While I love my extroverted best friends with all my heart, I also love having friends that are more introverted like me. I know I can go to them when I'm struggling with being overwhelmed, and I also know they will be down for a night in with me. It's nice to have people to relate to and lean on in all times.

6. Accept yourself

i love me

Since I surround myself with people who are mostly extroverts, it can be hard to come to terms with why I was so different than them at times. After finding more people like me and researching what it means to be an introvert, I was able to realize that I am not alone and my feelings are just as valid as anyone else's.

7. Don’t isolate yourself

go away

I lived in the really nice dorms freshman year where I had my own room and just shared a living area and bathroom with my roommate. This was so great for my introverted-ness because I was able to have my alone time when I needed it, but it was also easy to isolate myself and go into hiding. Luckily, I have friends who are constantly pushing me to do new things and go places, so they were there to motivate me, but without things to do and motivational friends, it would have been easy to spend hours alone.

8. Go out of your comfort zone

comfort zone

My biggest piece of advice is also the type of advice that is easier said than done. It took me a long time to realize how beneficial it is to go out of my comfort zone, and it's definitely still something I have to remind myself to do, but I am constantly seeing the rewards that have come from trying new things. It's not always easy but it's absolutely worth it in the long run.