Being An Introvert In An Outgoing Major
Identities

What It's Like Being An Introvert In An Extroverted Major

I'm an introverted by nature, but that doesn't mean I can't succeed in a people-oriented major

121
Isabel Hall

Correct or not, people sometimes base their perceptions of others on stereotypes.

Just about everything has a stereotype, including college majors. People-oriented majors such as journalism or business are seen as having talkative, in-your-face extroverts while majors such as engineering are seen as having quiet, shy introverts. However, like all stereotypes, these aren't necessarily true.

Overall, I consider myself to be a quieter, more introverted person, yet I am majoring in communication and journalism, two people-oriented majors. While some introverts may not want to work heavily with people, some, like myself, do. We aren't what people expect, but that doesn't mean we can't succeed in a more outgoing field.

Interacting with people isn't something that comes easily to me; I've had to work on things such as calling sources for a story. Even though these aspects used to make me nervous, enough practice has given me confidence, and now, I don't dread them at all.

I may have to work harder than people who are more extroverted in communicating with others, but I can still do well while staying true to my personality. I recognize when I need breaks and time to myself to recharge after spending all day talking with others, yet I still enjoy what I do and know it is the right field for me.

If you are passionate about something, don't let stereotypes hold you back or feel as if you have to completely change your personality to major in something. Be willing to work hard, adapt when needed, and bring your own unique perspective to the field.