The Internal Thoughts Of Every Introvert Dating An Extrovert

It can be a tough time dating someone who's your complete opposite.

352

Though not usually expected, introverts can end up with people usually classified as extroverts. Quite odd considering one is someone that prefers to be more alone and homely while the other is stereotypically found as the "friendly partier."

However, as these two personalities clash, the couple can definitely run into a number of difficulties. As someone that does have to deal with this on a daily basis, from the side of the introvert, I wanted to showcase the normal things we deal with almost everytime I go out with my extrovert of a girlfriend.

1. Do we have to go out? Again?

Most of the time I would much rather stay at home and watch a movie while she wants to go out. However, for me, it's always an anxiety-inducing adventure whenever I go out of my comfort zone. I know of course it is necessary to get out every once in awhile, but a person like me can't handle going out every single day of the week. There are places I love to go like the library, teahouses, and the movies, but when your extroverted significant other is constantly trying to get you to go out and claiming that it'll be short, it's tough to say "no" when you know it would make them happy.

2. I do care about you, I promise.

Sometimes arguments can get a little heated and things can be said that we never meant. Just because I don't want to go out one day or a few days in a row does not mean I don't care about you or your feelings. Introverts sometimes just can't handle constant social situations when we stress about needing to avoid those pretty often. Please don't jump to the conclusion I don't love you or that I don't care about you. That hurts more than you would believe. I want you to be happy, but sometimes you might want more than I can give. I'm sorry if you ever thought I didn't care.

3. I have to go now.

I know how terrible this may seem, but sometimes we can't handle being somewhere for too long. Once an introvert hits their limit, there's an instant need to get out as fast as we can. Personally, every time I do, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings by randomly leaving you or urging you to leave the party you were clearly enjoying. In our minds, it's a matter of getting out before we die. It may be hard to believe because of how absurd it may sound, but to an introvert, it really is a matter of life and death if we can't deal with wherever we are anymore.

4. Do I ever really get a say?

This would tend to be more of a fault of the introvert, but most of the time it's hard to express what we really want. Whenever and wherever our extroverted counterpart wants to go is usually the place we end up going. Usually, we tend to be quite indecisive, but sometimes we know what we want to do; we just tend to get overshadowed and drowned out by whatever you want to do. I'm not pointing fingers here, because sometimes we do have fun whatever it is, but it can be a little disappointing not getting to do what we want to do most of the time.

5. Thank you for being the keeper of my sanity.

Although I may complain at times, you really do help me keep my sanity. With every anxiety attack, migraine or overall worries, you're always there by my side. I love you so much for that. With any introvert, our savior can be our complete opposite. While you may not understand what we go through on a daily basis, you're still there for us no matter what it may be. I could never thank you enough for that. We all have a bit of an extrovert in us, and while I do love staying at home and relaxing, I'm okay with unleashing that inner extrovert just for you (... just not too much okay? It can really get exhausting.).

* * *

In the beginning, I really thought this would be more a list of complaints, but in truth, it's just what I believe tends to happen quite often in these types of relationships. If you ever find yourself dating someone that has an opposite personality type, give them a chance. You never really know what they can do to change your view of the world.