What It's Like To Be An Introvert In College

It's not always what it seems

124
Everypixel

Classes. Clubs. The dining hall. People, and more people.

There are a lot of people in college.

For an introvert like me, it can be too much sometimes.

I don't like to party. Not at all. I prefer to stay in my room on a Friday night reading a good book, or sitting with my best friend talking about books and reading together. I prefer to stay at home.

I hate small talk and I gain energy by being by myself.

But many people don’t believe I’m an introvert.

I like to talk when I have something to say. I raise my hand in class because I want to learn. I’m friendly. I have social skills.

I don’t understand why people think introverts have nothing to say, or that if they do have something to say, then they must be an extrovert. It’s simply not true.

I enjoy being by myself for days at a time, and I get tired in social situations. But I’m also a passionate person, and I bond deeply with people who share those passions.

It honestly took me a long time to find friends in college. I wanted to make friends, but I also never wanted to leave my room. It was very unfortunate.

But then I took Fiction Writing, and that's where I met my best friend. I finally developed this amazing connection with someone who saw the world in the exact same way.

If you struggle being an introvert in college, I feel you. It’s difficult. But once you pursue your passions and discover like-minded people, you’ll find that college can be amazing.