how to handle being an introvert at a party school

If You're An Introvert At A 'Party School' Don't Feel Bad About Staying In, It's Totally Ok

Friday nights are for binge-watching Netflix for me.

231
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LTKToQl4sA

When I started my college search almost three years ago (how was it already three years ago?!?!?), I didn't really pay attention to the, ahem, more social aspects of the universities I applied to. I knew OU and Miami were both really big "party schools" in Ohio, but when I got to the University of Cincinnati this fall, I didn't realize just how much of the social circle here involved partying and drinking.

Don't get me wrong, I know just about every university could probably be called a party school at this point. It's not uncommon to have a fake ID if you're underage, and most college students at least try to get their feet wet in the social scene, if nothing else to fit in. But I didn't quite realize how true that was until everyone moved in during Welcome Week, and there were several parties in our residence hall alone, not to mention frat parties and other house parties in general.

Most people who know me would say I'm pretty introverted. I value my quiet time, and I'm perfectly content to spend my weekend nights chilling out in bed with some snacks and a couple of movies. I've gone to a couple parties since moving into UC, and for all those introverts wondering what it's like, you're not really missing much unless you enjoy getting at least a little drunk and dancing, which I personally am not a fan of.

I was back and forth about going out this weekend, and after a really draining week (and the need to get caught up on my work before finals), I decided it's not worth it for me to go out. I have too much to do, and I want a night to myself. Also, it's really freaking cold and I don't want to walk outside that far. Even the few times I have decided to go out, I maybe stay for an hour and then get tired and leave before the parties even ~really~ started.

So, to all the introverts in college, own your life. It's okay to want to stay in on the weekends to enjoy your time off. It's okay to try the party scene, and it's okay if you love it, or if you realize it's just not for you. It's okay to spend your weekends staying in and sleeping or catching up on homework. Parties are great for some people, but in the end, you're really not missing that much by staying in.