Interviewing Remedy Drive: Music Stage To Brothel

Asking Alt Rock band Remedy Drive about new music and their impact on the world of human trafficking.

39
RemedyDrive

If you know me, you'll know a few important things to me are music and anti-trafficking work. Remedy Drive is an alt-rock band that has enjoyed success from songs like "All Along", "Daylight", "Better than Life", and "Resuscitate Me". However, these guys really find accomplishment in their involvements in anti-human trafficking work (with the Exodus Road organization). I got to interview these guys and get their thoughts.

Drew: The band has been going on for twenty years, what keeps things going for you guys?

Remedy Drive: To be honest, getting to combine our rock and roll with abolition has given the whole idea of writing and performing music a brand new life. When I leave home my wife and kids, I know that we're not only making a living but because of our concerts, but also we're able to contribute funds to the abolitionist organization: The Exodus Road, which directly impacts the freedom of enslaved people around the world.

Telling the stories of the girls that I meet on the other side of the world has become what I look forward to so much. Telling her story through melody is a great challenge and as we set out to write and record this new album, a follow up to Commodity, the magnitude of our opportunity to keep the darkness at bay is in the forefront of my thoughts and therefore the lyric.

Drew: Favorite song from your discography? Favorite music artist in general besides yourself?

Remedy Drive: My favorite song I've ever written is Commodity. My favorite music to listen to right now is Sigur Ros.

Drew: New projects coming up? Any collaborations to look for (saw you did one with All Sons & Daughters)?

Remedy Drive: We are working on our second installment of songs that we hope to contribute to the soundtrack of the modern underground railroad. We're working on that project right now.

Drew: I totally admire the work you do for the Exodus Road. Can you illustrate what you do?

Remedy Drive: I volunteer with The Exodus Road. As an advocate. To tell the story of the fight against slavery. But also as a volunteer undercover operative. I go into brothels and red light districts around the world to capture evidence of underage girls being sold against their will for sex. Looking for signs of force or coercion in order to get actionable evidence that we can turn over to authorities and then partner with them on a sting operation that will result in the freedom of the oppressed and the arrest of those trafficking her. We use spy gear and vehicles and equipment that has been partly funded by the Remedy Drive community.

Drew: What is the process of rescuing these people normally like?

Remedy Drive: The process of rescue is complicated because of corruption and the ability of mafias and crime syndicates to hide underage girls in those that are part of the legal prostitution industry. There are raids that get tipped off by corrupt law enforcement often times. But our aim is to cause consistent and significant disruption to those that profit off the sale of underage girls around the world.

Drew: Each person is important is God, but their stories can impact us differently. What story really impacted you?

Remedy Drive: I recently met a girl with a Hello Kitty bracelet on her arm. She was really shy. Holding on to the clothing of another girl in the club as she walked through the room. She was so childlike in her actions and the way she moved and yet she was in this place that really no one should be in let alone someones young teenage daughter. I meet a lot of girls just like her but maybe it was her bracelet that really impacted me this time around.

Drew: What can we do to help you out and what can we pray for? Thank you for your time.

Remedy Drive: Ordinary people are contributing to this modern abolition movement through funding, fund raising events, awareness events - contributing our time, our melodies, our art, our camera lenses, our moral capital. We are spending our privilege and our platform on freedom - on the oppressed and on the resistance to the darkness. I've seen people use their creativity and their imagination to do something small with great love. That's all we can do. But to do nothing is simply unacceptable when slavery is happening at an all time high rate in our lifetime. And on our watch.

Check out their music and request their songs on your local radio station so the message spreads.

To stay up to date: https://www.facebook.com/remedydrive/

Help them with the fight here: https://www.remedydrive.com/the-exodus-road