Interview With Your 2016 International Cinderella Women, Kirsten Gaskell

The second of many interviews with national and international title holders!

182
Take 2

I am excited to bring to you, the second of many interviews with national and international title holders through out the pageant circuit.

This week I was thrilled to interview the beautiful Kirsten Gaskell, the reigning 2016 International Cinderella Woman! I had the honor of competing alongside this wonderful women this past year in Dallas, Texas! She has taken time out of her busy schedule to give us a little more information about herself and the International Cinderella Scholarship Program, a pageant based 50 percent on talent alone!

Without further or do...

Who are you and where are you from?

My name is Kirsten Gaskell, I am 23 years old and I am originally from Tucson, Arizona, the only city in the United States to get 350 days of sunshine annually!

How did you get started with the Cinderella International Scholarship Program?

When I was 7 years old, my mom entered me in a local Cinderella preliminary at the suggestion of a friend! I competed at the local level four times throughout my childhood (twice as a Mini Miss, once as a Miss, and once as a Teen) and finally went on to Arizona State for the first time when I was 13 years old.

Tell us about your state pageant and what your favorite part was.

There is no event quite like Arizona Cinderella State Finals. I have had the pleasure of attending state four times— three times as a competitor and once as a member of the audience (and cheering section for my Cindy sisters). Many would probably be surprised to find that I did not compete at the AZ State pageant this year, but rather went to support one of my royalty sisters during the week. It was during that week when I was reminded of the true magic and sisterhood within Cinderella and I guess you can say I was “bit by the Cindy bug” again. I decided right then and there that I had to go to Internationals. I am so grateful Cinderella provides former state titleholders the opportunity to chase the dream of becoming international royalty even beyond their year as state overall.

What were your thoughts going into internationals this year?

For me, competing at Internationals was never about winning. Of course every girl goes into the week hoping and dreaming that they will be the one wearing the historic robe on finals night, but I really saw it as an opportunity to reconnect with a program I have always loved (and spend some much needed mother-daughter time with my mom after four long years away at college). I wanted to leave the week knowing that I was 100% my genuine self in all that I did (and wore), I performed to the BEST of my ability, I had fun, and I made at least two new friends!

I can say, with a very grateful heart, I was able to accomplish all of that and more. It was one of the best weeks of my life!

What was your favorite part of internationals?

On finals night, before the production began, we (every contestant in the Woman division) joined hands, bowed our heads, and opened our hearts in thanks to God for the week He had given us, the blessings we had received, and the night we had before us. It was a very powerful and unifying moment for many of us who were already friends but made closer by the presence of Jesus.

What was the first thing you did after you won International Women?

I honestly am not quite sure. The whole time between crowning and getting on the bus back to the hotel is a bit of a blur. I remember being flooded with love at the front of the stage by my Arizona Cinderella Sisters and saying “where is my mom?” She was the person I wanted to hug the most, but she was fighting a current of people all the way from the back of the ballroom! It took a few minutes but she finally made it to me and we both were crying messes.

I get that from her.

Later on in the night, after the awards banquet, my four new royalty sisters and I took our first official photo shoot together. It was so fun to get to know a little bit more about their fun and loving personalities!

What has been your favorite event you have been to as the Cinderella International Women?

I have really enjoyed my time getting to know the Colorado state royalty recently. I was invited to help them pass out candy to Trick or Treaters, I attended the first prelim of the year and I spent a fun day at the North Pole with them as well!

What are you most looking forward to this upcoming year as queen?

Right now, I am most looking forward to our first royalty trip to Tennessee! I leave on Wednesday and couldn’t be more thrilled to finally spend some time with my International Royalty Sisters.

What's next for you after you give up your title?

Only time will tell! I plan on continuing my career as an elementary school teacher after the 2017 International Finals and the rest is still a mystery to me! I know the best is yet to come.

What advice would you give to the girls getting ready to head to their state pageants?

Practice your casual wear speech! ;) All kidding aside, just make sure that the choices in clothing, talent, hair and makeup, etc. make you happy and confident. If you love what you’re doing and what you’re wearing, your heart will shine on stage and everyone will love you. When you get to state, remember to cherish every moment and make the most of your time with your Cindy sisters. It’s such a blessing.

What would you say to girls heading to internationals next year for the first time?

Be confident! Be kind. Be yourself 100%! Make sure that everything you do makes YOU happy and do not be afraid to be goofy in your interview! :) Remember that it’s about the experience, not the crown, so meet as many people as you can!

Any final parting thoughts?

Thank you for featuring me!! I feel so honored! This title is one of the biggest blessing God has given me and I am thankful every day that I never gave up the dream of wearing an international crown!