Wheelie Kid: An Interview With UVa's Favorite Biker

Get to know UVA's favorite biker.

367
Instagram: ohthatjustjuwan

Everyone at UVA knows who Wheelie Kid is. And if you don't, then you probably don't go here. He's a Charlottesville celebrity with the same popularity status as Thomas Jefferson and Malcolm Brogdon—almost every day, without fail, he can be spotted around Grounds, riding his bike with his front wheel up in the air, always listening to music and wearing his trademark spiked helmet.

We all see him, take pictures of him, yak about him; but as famous as he is, none of us really know him. How can we not know anything about our favorite bike rider besides the fact that he likes to ride his bike? So I was lucky enough to interview this UVA legend himself, and finally get a special look into who this mysterious Wheelie Kid truly is.

Tell me a bit about yourself.

Hey, my name is Juwan. I'm from Charlottesville and graduated from Charlottesville High School in 2015. I have one brother and one sister, and I'd say I'm a shy person. And I love to ride my bike of course.

When did you begin biking?

I started riding my bike when I was little. I just had fun with it and kept with it as I grew up. It's my favorite thing to do.

How did you learn to do all your bike tricks?

I just practiced basically every day. I pretty much taught myself. I can do more tricks than just wheelies, too.

What do you like about biking around UVA?

Y'all are so hype and happy, sometimes I just want to cry from how much I love you guys. You keep me motivated every time I come up there.

Do you bike here in the summer?

Yeah I do. I go all over the place, but then back to UVA to ride some more.

How do you like being known as the famous "Wheelie Kid"?

I don't like it—I love it. I want to keep it going. I just wonder how y'all made that nickname up.

What type of music do you listen to while biking?

All kinds of music—country, rap, all of that. I like everything.

Pretty much every day one of the top yaks on Yik Yak is about you. Do you ever read them, and do you like being so talked-about here?

Yes, I love reading them. They're hilarious. I do like being so popular here, since I'm not really well-known anywhere else besides UVA.

About how many hours a day do you spend biking around our school?

Basically all day. For real, I just never get tired of coming up around here. I love it at this place.

What else do you do in your free time?

Honestly, nothing really. I just ride my bike. It's the best.

If you could bike anywhere in the world, where would it be?

If I could go anywhere on my bike, I'd go to JMU, ODU, Tech; I want every college in Virginia to know who I am. And then I'd bike down to Myrtle Beach, just because I love that place, too.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Hopefully being famous.

What's one thing you've always wanted to tell all the UVA students?

Let me come party with y'all please, I swear I'm old enough. That's seriously my dream. I can't wait for block party. And thank you so much for supporting me; I love you guys and I miss you all. I can't wait to see you guys again.

Can we start a petition to get T Sully to make Wheelie Kid an honorary student or something? The only thing I loved more about finally getting to talk to this UVA celeb was hearing that he loves us just as much as we love him. And if you're ever looking to invite more people to your pregames, he wanted me to let you all know he's always down to party.