Interview With A Bassist

Interview With A Bassist

Chris: An Aspiring Musician

3
Interview With A Bassist
Abbi Webb

While in college, you have many different opportunities to go to different concerts and parties. Me personally, I will pick a concert over a party every time. Especially when a friend is performing in the band. On October 21st in the year 2016, I went to see my friend perform in the band A Burden To Bear. The members in the band are from all over Indiana and one from Ohio. I got the opportunity to interview A Burden To Bear on Friday October 28th. I was happy that they had agreed to interview with me for this article. A Burden To Bear was created nine months ago and played a live show just recently at Rhino’s All Age Club in Bloomington on October 21st. The show was awesome and the energy coming off of the bands that performed was amazing. Just to see how proud everyone was and to see all the hard work accumulate into one amazing show was awesome.

What is your name? “My name is Chris Szymanski.”

How old are you? “I am 19 years old.”

When did you get your first guitar? “I got my first guitar somewhere between sophomore year of high school.”

When did you learn to play guitar? “I didn’t really learn to play guitar. I learn the cords. Just the main cords.”

What made you want to learn to play an instrument? “I don’t know. Ever since I was a little kid, I’ve seen people in music videos. And just seeing people shredding on guitars and looking all crazy. It looked kind of cool and I wanted to do that too.”

When did you realize your dream was to work with music? “Ever since I was born. Ever since I was a little kid, my dad would just play music nonstop from the time he woke up to the time he went to bed. Music would just be playing all the time so that’s where my love of music came from.”

How much time do you dedicate to playing your music? “Whenever I get the chance. Inbetween classes, when I’m not doing anything, whenever I’m not playing video games or something like that. I would just pick up my bass and just start playing.”

When did you start playing in front of other people? “Last Saturday. October 21st.”

What is it like playing in concerts? “It’s a feeling that no one’s ever felt before until you feel it.”

Who is your most favorite musical Idol? “Possibly Caleb Shomo.”

Who are your other musical idols? (Top 3) “My top 3 favorite musical idols are Howard Jones from Killswitch Engaged, Rory Rodriguez form Dayseeker, and CJ McMahon from Thy Art Is Murder.”

Who is your favorite band? “My favorite band right now is probably Beartooth.”

What is your favorite musical genre? “Metal and all the subgenres.”

What genre of music do you play? “I play in a Metal Core band.”

What are the names of bands that you have performed in? “Terracadece, Aurorice, and A Burden to Bear”

What do you see yourself doing in 5 years? “Either playing music in front of people with my friends or pursuing my college degree.”

What do you see yourself doing in 10 years? “Playing music with my friends and hopefully not dead.”

Do you see yourself working with or in music for the rest of your life? “I would love to. That would be something crazy that I can’t even fathom. Because I just see people working 9-5 jobs just hating their lives all the time. You’d rather be doing that than living your dream and going out and actually perusing your dream.”

Is being in music your dream? “Most defiantly.”

Are you happy to be following your dream? “Most defiantly. Positively.”

Has there been a lot of heartache along this road to be following your dream? “Most defiantly. When you are surrounded by a group of dudes whether its previous bands or its bands you’re in now. There’s going to be stuff that comes up no matter what. And you’re just going to have to push through that and pushing through those heartaches is what brings people closest. That’s where friendships start to mold as you start to understand each other more and you understand why you did the things you did and understand whether you were heartbroken or they were heartbroken.”

Have you had to make a lot of sacrifice to follow this dream? “Not really.”

Do you have any words for anyone who wants to pursue music but is too afraid to? “Do what you love and do what you want to do. You are never going to pursue or see your dreams come true until you actually do something about it.”

Have you been injured from performing in a concert? “Not performing in a concert but being a mosh pit yeah definitely.”