Why Aren't Internships Paid?

Why Aren't Internships Paid?

While the reward of experience is unmatched, it should not be the only reward from an internship.

68
Why Aren't Internships Paid?
PR News

Most companies require that their applicants have years of experience when applying for their positions. This is the company's way of ensuring that they are hiring people with valuable skill sets that will aid in the success of the company. While this is an understandable mindset, this makes it difficult for recent college grads to land jobs in the career field of their choice.

It is unfortunate that companies are not willing to take risks hiring people with little to no experience and then training them to fulfill the job of the company. How is someone supposed to gain experience if they are not given a chance to?

Many would argue that this is where internships come into play. I completely agree that internships are a beneficial tool in working towards your career path. The experiences gained in an internship is like no other. It is during this time that you learn time management, one of the most important skills to have in every job. You begin to settle into the fast-paced or slow-paced environment of the job where you are working. You learn how to work with a team and preserve your own ideas while incorporating the ideas of everyone else. Most importantly, internships allow you to gain insight into the career field you potentially want to go into. Many people decide after internships if they still want to continue working in that career field or potentially look into a field completely different.

While the reward of experience is unmatched, it should not be the only reward from an internship. Internships usually come with the same set of responsibilities and tasks expected of a full-time worker. While this is ideal in order for an intern to immerse themselves within the work field, it should be taken into account how much the company is benefiting from an extra staff member. In additions, many internships are so time consuming that interns are unable to have other jobs while partaking in the internship.