7 Thoughts You Have While Applying For Internships

The hunt for internships has started and believe me, you aren't the only one thinking these thoughts.

7
Los Angeles Magazine

You got this! I know the internship application process is tough and seemingly unbearable, but take a break from stressing and take time to relate to these 7 thoughts that you've probably had during the search for an internship.

1. Unless I bring a magnifying glass to my interview, there is no way I'm squeezing everything onto my one-paged resume.

We have all been there... debating on whether to change the font size to 8-point or less to eliminate several of the amazing skills and qualifications you have. Who cares if the skills might be shot gunning, procrastinating and sleeping in -- the more the merrier, right?

Then Microsoft Word wants to be a smart ass with you and not format to your liking... I will for sure be a Microsoft expert by the end of this battle.

2. What's the point of attaching my resume, but then separately typing it out over again?

This makes me wonder if the employer even looks over my resume. If resumes were socially acceptable to be more than one page, we wouldn't be in this predicament. I mean, seriously, I don't want to waste my time nor your time.*deep breaths*

3. Hopefully I'm not talking too much about myself...?

I hate the concept of bragging about myself in order to persuade someone to hire me. Oddly, it makes me feel uncomfortable. I'll go on this never-ending bullshit story of how amazing I am, why I'm such a great leader, but then realize I don't know how to end the story. Oh shoot, I'm talking too much again aren't I, haha? Oh god they think I'm conceited now...

4. How the hell do you expect me to have years of experience when I'm STILL in college trying to balance everything else? Give me a break!

If I hear one more time from an employer that I don't have any experience prior to this one... I will SCREAM. I'm a college student trying to get the experience you are looking for in order to make it in this dog-eat-dog world.

5. I wonder if it's noticeable that I'm trying to look older than I actually am.

For goodness sake... I know I look 12, but I swear I'm [insert age]. Realize the childhood game of playing dress up in your parents clothes is starting to become a reality.

6. Unpaid internships should NOT exist.

My labor, work ethic and dedication come at a cost and should NOT be for free! If I'm putting the time in to get the experience and better your company then I should be rewarded. I have a life and have other financial responsibilities to uphold.

7. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

*eye roll* From someone who has been on both sides of this phrase, it's so reassuring meeting the right people at the right time who help you out in the long run. Otherwise, it can be irritating knowing you would have been a better candidate. Don't let people get you down when this unfair situation happens to you!