An Intern's Fears And How To Conquer Them

Whatever you do, don't forget to breathe!

1058
Redhype

Okay, so you got past the interview process and chewed your fingernails off as you waited to hear if you got the internship or not. Congratulations, you got it! Now it's time to actually work at your internship and learn the ropes of the company. Unfortunately, even though you look confident on the outside, you are screaming on the inside. Here's a list of 5 common fears interns experience and how to conquer them.

1. Meeting New People

Not only is it awkward to be a newbie, it is also awkward to meet your new co-workers and forget their names right after you are finished speaking to them. You are trying to listen to what they have to say, but you are drowning in the negative thoughts that fill the back of your mind. Once you get into the groove of things, you will get calmer and will be able to remember their names. So don't worry about mixing up a name or two, everyone was new at the job at some point. They all know what you are feeling,

2. Doubting Your Work

Once it's time to start working, you may feel stuck and unsure on how to complete the task at hand. You ask yourself questions like, "is this internship really worth it" or "should I just quit?" The bottom line is that you should never give up. It's scary to have new people see how you work and reject your ideas, but don't be discouraged. Every day is a new day to try and better yourself. In order to persevere, you need to motivate yourself and ask questions if you feel unsure about something. Your supervisor wouldn't have hired you if they didn't think you would be a good asset!

3. Making A Fool Out Of Yourself

You're bound to trip over nothing or spill coffee on your shirt, so whatever it is, laugh about it and move on. When you're in a new place, you feel like everyone is watching every move you make, when reality is that you're paranoid.

4. Having Conversations With Your Supervisor

Even though your supervisor may be the nicest person in the office, there is a major fear when it comes to the thought of sitting across a table from them. All criticism is good criticism, so take what your supervisor has to say seriously and it will help you become a better intern.

5. Making Mistakes

Nobody is perfect, not even your supervisor. An internship is a learning process, so of course you won't be the master of everything. Ask for guidance when needed and as your teachers have always told you, "there are no dumb questions."