A Summer In New York: Interning For Odyssey

The summer internship that begins the next chapter of my life.

122
Vearsa

79 Madison Ave, New York, NY. This is where you can find me this summer as I intern for Odyssey. Myself, along with 14 other creative and hard-working interns, will spend our days amongst the many managing editors that oversee the numerous campuses across the country. The internship starts only five days after my last final, but I am so excited for the adventure that awaits ahead.

Anyone who knows me knows that New York City is one of my absolute favorite places. Manhattan is called many things: "The City That Never Sleeps," "The Big Apple" and "The Capital of the World," but this summer, I get to call it home. For the next three months, I will spend my days walking down overcrowded streets, window shopping stores that are out of my price range, and watching tourists run into things while trying to look at the maps on their phones. Let's not forget about the endless food options, too. I once read that it is possible for a person to eat out every night in New York City for 54 years, and never eat at the same place.

Odyssey has given me the chance to grow as a writer over the past few years. Now I have been given the opportunity to work directly with the individuals who have been teaching and inspiring me since I began, and I know that this summer will be such an incredible learning experience. Along with learning more about how Odyssey works behind the scenes, I am excited to learn from industry professionals about how to better prepare for life after college. I know the transition from school to a career can often be an intimidating one, but I am looking forward to starting the next chapter in my life.

For those who don't know, "Odyssey is a social content platform that discovers and shares a chorus of millennial voices, amplified organically through people sharing with their friends. The platform empowers its thousands of creators to contribute and share what matters to them, and enables content to find its most relevant audience organically." In a world full of articles written by individuals who were told what to write about and how to write it, Odyssey breaks this trend by allowing young individuals to have their voice heard about topics that are important to other millennials. This is why I love Odyssey.

I have already gotten the opportunity to meet many individuals who work for Odyssey, both at the national and school levels. I have also already been communicating with the other interns that I will be working with this summer, and everyone is so friendly, encouraging, and just as excited as I am to begin working. If you didn't think it was possible to get excited to go to work, then you have never met the employees of Odyssey. I mean, when the office has free coffee and puppies running around, who wouldn't look forward to going to work?