Life As An International Student Returning To Campus

Back to school!

5
Travel + Leisure

Studying abroad is a novel experience. When a person travels to a foreign nation, they are exposed to a new reality, which removes them from their comfort zone. Some people may adore their new environment right away, while others cannot get accustomed to university life so quickly. Both scenarios are common and completely normal. Regardless of which category a person falls into, they experience challenges and great moments alike. Exploring the unknown and daring to do something different is what makes studying abroad so rewarding.

Returning to college after winter break is very different from arriving for the first time. Now, students are coming back to the familiar sight of campus, settling into the routine of going to classes, and seeing the friends that they made the past term. However, the sense of familiarity does not make coming back boring, because the new term will bring new experiences, emotions, and revelations. Although students are seemingly doing the same activities, taking different classes and meeting new people changes a person’s views and ideas, which allows students to grow as individuals.

For the international students who fell in love with university life immediately, coming back is an opportunity to get to know the different culture and people even better. Some international students feel happy and fulfilled when coming back to campus, eagerly awaiting what lies ahead. Those people generally want to make the best out of their experience in the foreign land, while also bettering themselves in the process.

Even for those who have not enjoyed their previous term, going back to school is bound to bring different experiences and emotions. A lot of international students have a hard time adjusting to living in a foreign country. At first, the cultural shock and immersion into a new lifestyle can be overwhelming. However, I am a firm believer that as everything settles down, people begin to see and experience the more positive side of university life. So, staying open-minded and not letting past experiences shape future ones can be very beneficial.

University life for all students, not only internationals, is not entirely good, nor is it entirely bad. One of the purposes of going to college is learning to overcome those obstacles, while also experiencing great moments. International students, who have come to different countries in order to be somewhere different, to become different and better, should come back to university with a positive mindset, and have a great second term.