5 Reasons Keeping Up Your Online Presence Is Important

Insta-Gratification: How I'm Redefining My Online Experience

With schools and employers looking into every detail of our virtual lives, our online presence carries more weight than ever.

141

It's impossible to ignore the impact that social media has on our lives. Lately, I've been aware – maybe even overwhelmingly so – of how so much of my ongoing coming of age exists in the algorithms of my Instagram feed. I'd be lying if I said I haven't fallen victim to the pseudo-significance of my online persona. When I feel myself getting stressed out over likes and follower/following ratios, it becomes challenging to define this superficial validation as anything other than a necessary investment in my future. After all, we're living in an age where so much celebrity and popular culture is authenticated by a strong online presence. I'm almost relieved when a potential employer requests my Instagram handle on a job application, it reminds me that my online presence serves a purpose that goes beyond vanity.

But what is the purpose of social media? At the end of the day, what does (or should) it all boil down to? It's a difficult question to answer, but here are some ideas:

1. Social media is a time capsule.

I think it's exciting and interesting and informative to look back on your own personal feed, seeing where you were and what you were feeling a year, two years, or three years ago. It can be a great way to track personal progress, whether it be landing a new job, finding your best friend or your soulmate, freeing yourself from a toxic relationship, etc. Social media gives you the opportunity to watch your life unfold, lets you document all the major moments for your future and maybe even for posterity, who knows?! – it's a wonderful thing.

2. Social media is a measuring tape.

I'll never forget a conversation I had with a friend from high school over Thanksgiving break of our first year at our respective colleges. We discussed our former classmates, assessing – for better or for worse – how or if they were enjoying college. "She hasn't posted anything," my friend said of one of our frenemies. "I feel bad, it's obvious she's having trouble making friends at school." I remember the instant anxiety I felt after hearing my friend say this, knowing that my Instagram had also remained relatively outdated, not stretching far beyond high school graduation photos I had uploaded months earlier. At that moment, I promised myself that I'd make a greater effort of better representing the fun I was having at Fordham (even though, admittedly, freshman year was a strange and uncomfortable time in a variety of ways…but I certainly couldn't let my social media reflect that!). I'm glad – relieved, even – that I now recognize the error of my ways. I'm glad that paragraph I just wrote sounds silly as I read it. But most of all, I'm glad I feel comfortable admitting all of this to you now.

3. Social media establishes a brand.

I touched on this before. Our online presence is more significant than ever, with schools and employers and even potential significant others looking into every detail of our virtual lives. But that's just it – it's virtual. The image we create of ourselves rarely shows the whole picture, and maybe that's just the nature of the beast. It's impossible to encapsulate the complexities of an entire human being by any one measure, after all. That said, this culture of branding and influencers forces us, in a way, to consider what foot we're putting forward. How are we presenting ourselves? How can we become the best version of ourselves? These are all important questions, and regardless of how troubling the prompting factor (i.e. social media) can be, the self-reflection and realization that follows can be incredibly enlightening.

4. Social media saves postage.

My Instagram feed – heck, my Facebook timeline (I'm still very active on Facebook, just so you know) – is my favorite way to keep friends and family updated on what's going on in my life. I show them the places I've been, the opportunities that have presented themselves to me, even the food I eat. Instead of reading painstaking letters from yours truly, my extended family, neighbors, etc. can log on and see what's going on in my life, and I'm grateful for that! I'm having a great time in New York, and I really enjoy sharing that with the people I love. Even this very article! No one would ever read it if it weren't for Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat. These sites, at the end of the day, are for sharing, and it's great when this aspect isn't lost in the politics of likes and followers.

5. Social media is inspiring.

Lately, I've gotten much better at honing my social media experience into something that is positive for me as a whole, and this has everything to do with who I choose to follow. By deleting all the toxic, unhealthy energy from my feed (whether that be a middle school bully whose posts simply do not bring you joy, or a virtually perfect Instagram model who makes you doubt your accomplishments and/or body image) and focusing instead on those accounts that inspire me, I log on to Instagram each day with excitement and hopefulness, never forgetting that I am in control of the experience.

Here are some accounts that have inspired joy for me as of late:

@iamcattsadler – Keep an eye out for Catt Sadler's "Cattfirmations." These inspiring quotations will ignite your passions and remind you of what's really important.

@yarashahidi – Yara Shahidi is an American actress whose on-screen talent is rivaled only by her activism. At just 19 years old, she is reminding all of us how much power we have, so long as we make it a point to use it.

@elainewelteroth – Elaine Welteroth is a journalist, author, and television personality who never hesitates to share the aspects of her life that bring her sheer, unbridled joy. Whether she's on a book tour or enjoying a vacation with her family, her passion is contagious.

@sighswoon – This account combines useful self-care tips with relatable memes that remind us all of the struggles that we face: the struggles that unite us. She also has a great social media guide: "How to Have A Positive Experience On Instagram," which definitely inspired this article.

@greceghanem – This fashionista demonstrates the fact that age is but a number. She defines stereotypes and inspires all of us living in an ever-increasingly ageist America.

@werenotreallystrangers – This artist transforms street art into inspiring and enlightening messages of hope and reflection, reminding us all of the extent to which our commonalities far outweigh our differences.