Why Instagram Is Messing With Our Minds

Why Instagram Is Messing With Our Minds

If you need a self-esteem booster, just delete your Instagram.

35
Why Instagram Is Messing With Our Minds
U.S. News

Is it just me or do you also want to pull out your hair every time you look at your Instagram feed? Let’s face it…

It’s unrealistic.

News flash, there’s this really cool thing called Photoshop. And if it’s not Photoshop then maybe it’s just a really good angle. But honestly, if you’re feeling down about yourself because your waist isn’t 10 inches and you don’t have “legs for days,” snap out of it. You should be living a real life that doesn’t revolve solely around what people think of you on social media. Please don’t let the Internet trick you into being someone you don’t want to be just because it’s the latest trend.

We’ve got to stop thinking that Kim Kardashian is #goals.

Do you really want to grow up to be Kim Kardashian? If you really had trouble answering that question than you need to be brought back down to earth. She may have the money to buy Bentleys and lip injections, but you are worth so much more. You don’t have to literally sell yourself in order to feel special. Her life looks like a fairytale on Instagram, but I think a majority of us can agree that it’s just as fake as her implants.

We love making each other jealous, but we tend to go overboard.

Our captions should read, “Look at me, I’m pretty,” “I’m fit,” “I’m rich,” because these are traits that we think are more important than the rest when it comes to Instagram. But trust me on this one. Instead of showing off that revenge body that you spent 4 hours editing, show them that you’re genuinely happy. I’m sure your backside is looking really good, but unfortunately it doesn’t make your personality shine too bright at all. So instead of flaunting that half-naked body of yours, let’s try flashing a smile at the world whilst fully clothed. That’ll really show ‘em.

People literally get paid to lie to you on Instagram.

No, I will not purchase a $50 box of tea just because someone took a picture with it and wrote that it made them skinny in 1 week. I’m not falling for that and neither should you. Wake up, people. We’re obsessing over our bodies and how we look when we’re spending all of our time looking at other people and comparing ourselves. Be the best version of yourself, not the complete mirror image of someone you don’t know.

We judge people based on how many likes they get.

Just admit it, you get a little bitter when your friends get more likes than you. And you’ve most likely asked yourself, “What does she have that I don’t?” I’ll let it slide this time, but please, it has got to stop. It sounds cheesy, but someone who likes you for who you are in real life and not through a phone screen, is worth a million likes.

We’re living two separate lives.

I can go on and on, but I’m going to finish with this. I’m all for you feeling good about yourself, but it’s going to bite you in the butt if you keep using a filter to hide who you really are. Be proud and be confident, but don’t be someone who you are not. And please take some time out of your day to put your phone down and focus on making the real world a better place instead of obsessing over the make-believe, social media world.