To The Teacher Who Changed My Life

To The Teacher Who Changed My Life

Thank you.

116
To The Teacher Who Changed My Life
ClasslinQ

I've been in school for 13 years now and I have encountered so many teachers. I remember each of them and how they all impacted my life in different ways. However, there has only been one teacher who completely changed my life.

In the beginning of high school, I was very shy and kept to myself for the most part. I went to school to do my work and play volleyball. I had a very small box, known as my comfort zone, that I never really ventured out of. At the end of my ninth grade year, we got assigned to career areas; mine was early childhood. This would be a class that I attended for the next three years. I remember feeling so bummed because when I applied for a career area, early childhood was my second choice. Little did I know this class would allow me to meet one of the most influential people in my life.

Sophomore year in this class, many of my classmates disliked this teacher. They complained that she was strict and that she expected too much. I have to admit, in the beginning, I agreed with them. What I later found out is that a teacher who is always asking you if you've done your work or if you studied for a test, is a teacher who truly cares and wants to see you do well. Which is something that I am forever grateful for.

Junior year, there was a competition called Skills USA. In early childhood, we had a mini competition to see who would go to the actual competition to represent the school. We had to create a lesson plan and do it with a stuffed animal. I know it sounds crazy, but it really tests your teaching skills. Anything you can teach a stuffed bear with absolutely no feedback and conversation, you can most definitely teach to a four-year-old. In order to "win" you had to have the best presentation. It was my turn to present and I was determined to be great. The second I sat down in the little closet I immediately began doubting myself. Mrs. Vickers looked at me and told me to calm down and that I could get through it. Every time I started to present I froze; at one point I even started crying. Even though this was a timed presentation, Mrs. Vickers kept restarting the clock and giving me multiple chances. Eventually, I did actually get through it.

About a week later they were announcing who won. Two people received a golden ticket attached to their winning lesson plan. I assumed the tickets were on the front and got upset when I was handed my lesson plan. Someone asked me what was on the back of my paper so I flipped it over, then realizing that I received a golden ticket. I walked out to Mrs. Vickers and asked her if there was a mistake or something after thinking back to my rocky presentation. She shook her head no and told me how great my lesson plan was and how she knew I could do it. She gave me the kind of confidence that I had been looking for, for 16 years. I know that my presentation was far from perfect, but she believed in me even though I didn't believe in myself.

A few months later after the real Skills USA competition, I found out that all the people that went to represent early childhood at my school placed in the competition, except for me. I was upset, but not because I didn't win. I was upset because I did not try as hard as I could have, I let my nerves get the best of me and that was my mistake. I talked to Mrs. Vickers about many things, especially about how upset I was about not placing. She assured me that it was okay and that I could go next year. I was so puzzled as to why she would ask me to go again after not doing well in the competition. Looking back now, I couldn't be more thankful for that moment; for that second chance to redeem myself.

In the middle of senior year, I was reminded about the competition and I knew that I had to try my best. It wasn't just for me anymore, it was for Mrs. Vickers too, to show her that she made the right decision and that I could really do it. I prepared and worked so hard on making sure that I was ready. After all, senior year was my last chance.

The day of the competition I was nervous; more nervous than I had ever been about anything. Mrs. Vickers kept saying that I was ready and that I would do great. After the competition was over I began doubting myself, like I do for everything. I felt like there was no way that I placed and I felt like I let myself down.

Three weeks later after getting off of work, I opened my phone to a voicemail that said, "Good morning Cheyenne, it's Mrs. Vickers. Please call me back whenever you get a chance." I called her back right away and when she answered the phone she said to me, "I bet you can't guess what I called you for." I asked if it was about Skills and she said yes telling me that I had placed! Feeling a little unsure I asked repeatedly if she was sure if it was me. Of course, she said that it was and then she gave me all the details for the banquet where I would find out what place I won.

The night of the banquet I was very anxious to find out what I placed. After waiting for several hours, it was finally time to find out who got what place in the early childhood competition. They had a huge projector in the front of the room the displayed the names and next to it what place each person got. I was so sure that I got third place. I thought there was no way I would have gotten any higher. I even said this to Mrs. Vickers and explained logically how there was absolutely no way I got first or second. However, she knew all along what place I got. I was so shocked to see my name up on the screen showing that I won second place!

After I went on stage and got my medal, I went down to Mrs. Vickers who looked at me and said, "I told you, you could do it." All I could do was hug her because it was really her who motivated me to get to this point. Mrs. Vickers always joked with me and told me that we weren't friends, but in this moment, I knew she was way more than just a teacher to me.

I was just as excited as everyone else for high school to finally be over. What I failed to realize is that this meant I would be leaving high school and all the teachers I grew to love, including Mrs. Vickers. Throughout these four years, she had always been like a second mom to me and it's sad that I won't be able to go to school to talk to her about the latest drama going on in my life, or what big decision I was having trouble making.

Luckily, she sent me an email right before graduation saying that she would miss being my school mom and how when I'm in college she would love to get lunch with me. She also said that if I ever needed anything that I could call her and ask, she even included her phone number which she said she never gave a student before. The ending though, that was by far the best.

"Much love and congratulations, I'm so proud of the young lady you have grown into." What she probably doesn't realize is that I couldn't have done it without her. As I sit here with tears rolling down my face, I just want to say thank you and tell you that you have most definitely changed my life.