13 Possible Character Deaths In "Avengers: Infinity War"

Somebody stop the purple grape before he kills all of our faves.

290
Hannaford

With the release of the second trailer of "Infinity War," more scenes are available to us fans, and therefore more theories about the promised deaths. The Russo brothers, Kevin Feige, and multiple cast members have confirmed that this movie will be a sad one, featuring permanent character deaths.

The good news is that it won't be as devastating as the as-of-yet untitled fourth Avengers, which Feige has described as a "finale" of sorts, closing Phase 3 of the MCU and saying goodbye to previous superheroes so as to make way for the new generation. So if we're not devastated by the end of April with the results of "Infinity War," we definitely will be in a year.

I've had numerous discussions with people about who could die in this film and looked up countless articles and YouTube videos with theories on the same topic. I've compiled a list of my own personal predictions on who is the least to most likely to die in this film. Feel free to disagree and share your own theories.

It's probably best to start with the characters who definitely won't die. T'Challa (Black Panther), Peter Parker (Spider-Man), Scott Lang (Ant-Man), Peter Quill (Star Lord), Bucky Barnes, and Groot all seem safe to me, mostly because they're the next generation of superheroes and/or are confirmed for plenty more Marvel films.

But then there are some that are either questionable to most likely going to die.

13. Sam Wilson / The Falcon.

There are some characters whose deaths would be significant and make sense by moving other affected characters and the plot along. I don't see Sam's death being one of them. To me, he's more valuable as one of the next generation of superheroes.

Unfortunately, he's not even confirmed for "Avengers 4," nor do we know his contract. He has previously claimed he signed up for "as many movies as [he] could," joking about it being “like 50” films. Because of this, I'm fairly certain he'll survive, but I also am wary of trusting Marvel.

12. James "Rhodey" Rhodes / War Machine.

I personally feel like it’d be a cheap shot since he almost died in “Civil War” and instead is having to learn what it’s like to live as someone who is physically disabled (and is therefore great representation), but I guess I wouldn’t put it past Marvel. I kinda need him to survive though, especially now that we've seen that Shuri is capable of healing spinal injuries and Rhodey will be in Wakanda.

Since Gwyneth has more or less confirmed his appearance on the set of “Avengers 4,” I’m not too worried.

11. Nebula.

Though Karen Gillan has let it slip that Nebula will be returning in the fourth Avengers film, her death would make the most sense. The last we saw of her in "Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2," she was leaving to find Thanos and fight him. Her sister, Gamora, warned her that such an act could lead to her death, an ominous foreboding for this character. But while her death seems likely to happen in this film, her contract says otherwise. Because of this, I'm speculating that if she doesn't die in this film, she will in "Avengers 4."

10. Drax.

The entirety of Drax's motivation for joining the Guardians in the first place was so that he could hunt down Thanos and avenge his murdered family. Similar to Nebula, his death seems plausible and likely, but Dave Bautista is confirmed for "Avengers 4" and "Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 3." While Marvel could definitely be toying with us, it seems that he'll survive this one. If he does, it will showcase his character development, going from the hotheaded guy willing to start a fight, even if it endangers the other Guardians, to one more in control of his emotions and willing to work as a team rather than solely seeking revenge.

9. Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow.

Though Scarlett Johansson is confirmed to be in "Avengers 4," certain paparazzi shots of them filming show the cast in the same get-up as the first Avengers film. This has led fans to believe there will be a flashback or time travelling aspect or something, which ultimately means that anyone confirmed for "Avengers 4" could still die in "Infinity War."

However, a solo Black Widow movie has finally been more or less confirmed by Feige. Both good and bad news is that this could be the Black Widow origin story fans have been hoping for. Good because our dreams may finally be fulfilled, but bad because it doesn't guarantee her safety.

They’re phasing out the original Avengers team, but maybe that doesn’t have to mean her death or ultimate departure in this film. Maybe she and Bruce will go retire (though please for the love of all that is good and holy may this Brucetasha bit be over and done with already).

8. Clint Barton / Hawkeye.

Clint: I'm Clint.

Marvel: *Black Panther voice* I don't care.

Where in the heck is my footage of Hawkeye in either of the "Infinity War" trailers, Marvel???

I guess in my head I’ve rationalized that since the Russos said that whoever isn’t at the forefront of this movie will be at the forefront of the next, coupled with a disappointing lack of Hawkeye in the trailer, I’ve assumed he’ll be part of the main focus for the fourth Avengers instalment. I am now realizing this could be rather far from the truth. Though he is confirmed for “Avengers 4,” it could just be for that flashback/time travel/whatever thing and not because he survived the purple space grape that is Thanos.

I also subscribe to the theory that he’s taken on the mantle of Ronin for this film because he’s either on the run and trying to keep his family safe or they’ve died and he’s creating a new identity for himself. If something has happened to his family or he’s driven by protecting them, his death would make sense. He either has no reason to live or too good of a reason to die.

7. Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet Witch.

While it would make for a better character arc if she were to deal with the trauma of losing Vision, the fact that Wanda’s one of the few not confirmed for the untitled "Avengers 4" is a bit disconcerting, to say the least. Add to that Joe Russo's tease of her making a mistake at the beginning of the movie and vaguely saying "we'll see where she goes," her future isn't exactly sunshine and roses.

Maybe she’ll go out trying to protect Vision or… I’ve honestly got nothing. I can’t think of any situation in which her death would have any kind of pay-off or significant meaning for viewers, but maybe that’s just because I haven’t watched the film yet. Or maybe she’ll be fine. The only reason I could see for her death is that she's not confirmed for any more films.

6. The Vision.

This has been the death most speculated by fans. The Mind Stone resides on Vision's forehead, and Thanos needs it. Anthony Russo has even said that "his life is in conflict with Thanos' goals, so something's got to give." While I could see how his death would not only logically make sense in that being the only way for Thanos to take hold of the Mind Stone but also story-wise since it will move Wanda' character development along, I'm hesitant to confidently claim he'll die. Though his would definitely be the least painful death, Paul Bettany told Collider that filming "Infinity War" felt like "the biggest movie that I’ve ever made and will ever make, and we’ve still got to make the [next] one."

Vision dying makes sense, but it seems that he'll be appearing in "Avengers 4." If that was all just a smokescreen, then I think his death may occur in this film. But it's Marvel, so you never definitively know.

5. Stephen Strange / Doctor Strange.

Benedict Cumberbatch is only confirmed for "Infinity War," and he's already revealed that there won't be a "Doctor Strange" sequel since there is already so much happening in the MCU.

In the second trailer, we see him being tortured by the Voldemort-looking member of the Black Order. I've heard theories about his powers being the ones most suited to defeat Thanos. While I'm not sure what those powers are since his is the only Marvel film I've yet to see, there is speculation that he could keep reversing time and changing the future so that the team can finally defeat Thanos.

His powers and presence seem the most valuable, but him not being in any future films leads me to believe there may be a sacrifice play in his future.

4. Thor.

The God of Thunder is seen in the latest trailer at the mercy of Thanos, with his head about to be squished. Though this doesn't necessarily mean he's going to die, I am concerned that Joe Russo revealed that Thanos and Thor will have the most screen time in this film. Normally the characters with the most screen time are the ones that die, so as to make their deaths more devastating.

Thor's one of the OG Avengers, and so the guy is going to either need to die or retire to make room for the next generation. He's confirmed for "Avengers 4," but the shots of him on set feature his long hair and both eyes, so it's more likely that it's a flashback or time travel. Which SUCKS because after "Ragnorak," Thor is even more endearing and his death would be extremely tragic. Please, Russo brothers, please just let him retire peacefully and lead the Asgardians on the other end of the universe or something.

3. Loki.

He's not confirmed for "Avengers 4" or any future Marvel film, and his scenes in the trailers weren't exactly promising. He's shown handing the tesseract over to Thanos, but many believe this could be in an effort to save his brother's life. The shot of him standing with the rest of the Black Order shows him on the other end of what seems to be Proxima Midnight's spear thing as if she's training a weapon on their hostage.

His death could also potentially close out his character arc and bring it to completion. In all the films that we've seen him in, Loki has gone from the overlooked, adopted brother of Thor and anti-hero to the (probably brainwashed) villain attempting to take over Earth. He's most recently been seen as conflicted and complex in the Thor movies, and with the elevator conversation about there possibly being good left in him in "Ragnarok," his death could be a heroic one and thus redeem him.

2. Tony Stark / Iron Man.

Another one of the original Avengers needing to be phased out. He's confirmed for "Avengers 4," but every shot has been of him looking the same as he did in the first Avengers film. His scenes this time seem to be with Cap and Ant-Man during the Battle of New York, so it definitely seems like time travel. Unfortunately, this greatly diminishes the possibility of his survival in "Infinity War." Moreover, he's fulfilled his contract with Marvel, going the extra mile by appearing in "Spider-Man: Homecoming," a film not included in his original contract.

Tony is seen with a bloodied hand, standing over Peter Parker's broken body, and taunted by Thanos ("I hope they remember you") in the trailer. It doesn't look good.

My only consolation is that Chris Evans called RDJ "irreplaceable" and the Russo brothers agreed, claiming he's "the biggest movie star" and "impossible to replace." Honestly though, that's not much of a consolation because they're just saying that when he does leave, no one can take his place.

High-key, this death will hurt the most. Whatever you do, don't think about how Peter Parker will react to seeing his dad die or how Tony is leaving behind Rhodey, Pepper, and Happy or how he and Steve are going to be still at odds in this one. If he does die, you can find me sobbing uncontrollably in the theatre.

1. Steve Rogers / Captain America.

Chris Evans' contract has also been exceeded. He was only supposed to do six films, three Captain America ones and three Avenger ones, and they talked him into doing "Avengers 4." Since he's in the same boat as RDJ in regards to being one of the original Avengers and his only scenes in "Avengers 4" looking to be part of the time travel plot, his future is definitely bleak.

I honestly have no hope that Cap will survive. There's a tiny part of me believing for his end to just be retirement, but I'm real worried, you guys. I just want happiness for all of my Marvel children and instead we're going to get death and heartbreak.

But I swear, if he dies without reconciling with Tony and the two sharing a hug, I will throw myself out a window.

Noteworthy runner-ups: Bruce Banner / The Hulk, Drax, Gamora, Rocket, Mantis, Valkyrie, Pepper Potts, Hawkeye's family, Okoye, Shuri, and M'Baku. While I will riot if any of them die, their futures don't seem absolutely certain, nor necessarily questionable. For the most part, I think they're safe, but one can never be too sure.

No matter what, this movie is going to kill me as it kills certain characters. I wish no one would die, but Marvel is specifically out to rip my heart to shreds and obliterate any remaining pieces, so it's best to prepare myself now.