Indifference: The Silent Injustice

Indifference: The Silent Injustice

It is not hatred alone that wipes out a population or ignorance alone that allows for the perpetuation of injustice but it is instead the indifference that allows it all to pervade.

220
Indifference:  The Silent Injustice

I must say the most challenging aspect of being a minority is not being a minority but rather being a minority in thought. It is one thing to be a minority in regards to identity but being in the minority concerning ideas related to that identity is another ball game. But it is inconsistency and indifference to those thoughts and plights that are even more frustrating. It is difficult to accept the inconsistency within our quests for justice. We want our voices to be heard when injustice affects only us but that is not justice at all. It is not those who contest, or disagree but those who are silent and indifferent that disappoint. But only if we understood that whatever is fueling the hate for one is fueling the hate for another then with this understanding perhaps we can attack the root problem and overcome it.

It is not hatred alone that wipes out a population or ignorance alone that allows for the perpetuation of injustice but it is instead the indifference that allows it all to pervade. With indifference there is a lack of interest, concern or empathy. There is no sense of urgency when the matters at hand are absolutely urgent. It is urgent that we care enough to stop injustice against the environment. It is urgent that we fight against the injustice of black bodies in the face of police brutality. It is urgent that we fight against the injustice of sex crimes and violence against women.

These are urgent issues that one may overlook because they are not as pertinent to the onlooker. However, imagine what kind of world would live in if people bore the burdens of others. If we extended our hands a little farther, stretched our hearts a little wider. What if we opened our eyes and ears a little wider into the world of others, into the world in which others face vastly different circumstances? Everyone has within them the potential to make a difference in the world. You don’t have to be the next Gandhi or Martin Luther King; it could just start with one word or one action.

I hear of repeated complaints from people who are tired of constantly being reminded of the plight of others because it is “annoying,” “worn-out,” or “trivial." But the truth is the issues are dire otherwise they wouldn’t be talked about so often.

Empathy is not too expensive to share or give. Although it is impossible that everyone can see eye to eye or fully understand to the degree in which someone is burdened, we can help in lessening the load. Not everyone has the gravitas or the same degree of strengths or passion to help in certain situations as others but that does not mean that it has to be ignored completely. Removing indifference and showing little empathy even in the smallest of ways can make a huge difference.