Foster Independent Thinking: Critique Your Media, Read Everything, and Have Conversations

In a world of differing opinions and beliefs, constantly pursue individuality and foster independent thinking.

3
"Thinking" by Kurtis Garbutt on Flickr

On the very cusp of adulthood, university students seek a fruitful education, hope to attain a profitable job, and grow into an individual with unique opinions, thoughts, and feelings. Today, we find ourselves in a frustrated world, where people play tug-of-war with politics and beliefs. Younger generations watch on, pulling on the sides of their guardians, because they're still learning and developing. As individuals, it's integral that we foster independent thinking within ourselves and our children. There is no progress in society if its citizens fail to think for themselves.

Whether you lean right or you lean left, there's no harm in looking into your opposition's news sources. Undoubtedly, you'll struggle to sympathize, but perhaps you'll understand their mentality better. Perhaps you'll gain insight on how to better approach your opposition in conversations or debates, because you've already reviewed the voices they listen to. However, overall, never forget that news sources are not the harbingers of truth. Instead, they are the conduits for your own thinking. Through the TV stations, the newspapers, the magazines, etc., you grasp ideas and formulate your own. Consume media as a food critic consumes meals.

Read constantly as well. Books offer a wealth of knowledge, from fiction to non-fiction. Gain the ability to think critically about the texts, and analyze the author's words and the characters' actions. When you reach the conclusion, write an honest review of your thoughts. Then, seek out critics of the same novel. Independent thinking is a skill that necessitates constant attention, but once you hone it, you will never look at the world with the same point-of-view.

The written words also preserves history, from the language to certain worldly events. You can learn about cultures, wars, and social changes from simple poetry or archived letters. Knowledge of history generates independent thinking, through the connections you make between Point A and Point B. When you understand why things happened, you know how to never make the same mistake and think of the solution yourself.

In summation, a lifetime of learning, through skills or books or conversations, fosters independent thinking. Look at education as a tool that is omnipresent and neverending. Above all, never stop thinking for yourself or let others dictate your voice. Be critical of the world and truly become an individual in the crowd. As an independent thinking, you can be confident that your opinion matters, because you will always have something to say.