Public School Made Me A Better Christian

We serve a God who is strong enough to shape us—regardless of the school we attend.

14
Christianity.com

I was raised in a Christian household.

I attended a public school from the time I started kindergarten until I graduated high school.

In Christian communities, these two statements are often viewed as mutually exclusive. Lots of Christians don't send their kids to public schools. Not necessarily in a judgmental, holier-than-thou type of way (although, believe me, I've received plenty of sneers and ignorant comments about how perverse our public school system is over the years,) but instead because other schooling techniques are more able to instill students with a Christian worldview, which is a valid reason to forgo public schooling.

Now I attend a private, Christian college, and I'm certainly behind many of my classmates when it comes to more minute knowledge of the Bible and theology. My peers gained this knowledge in classes taken over 12 years time—classes that I had no access to at my public school. This initial difference between myself and my classmates was a little disheartening. I found myself wishing that I could have had the same education they were able to have.

But after further reflection and discussion with friends who attended Christian schools, I realized that much like they were able to grow in certain ways at their schools, I too was able to grow in certain ways at mine. My public school helped me grow and mature as a Christian, just as Christian schools do for those who attend them. I've come to appreciate how God used the schooling I received to teach me priceless lessons.

That being said, here are the four biggest reasons why I am indescribably grateful to have attended a public school:

1. I Had Countless Opportunities to Share My Faith

Every school day, I was surrounded by hurting people, droves of which were open about their rejection of Christianity or religion in general. God was always providing opportunities for me to speak truth into my classmates' lives about how much He loves them. Did I always take these opportunities? No, unfortunately I didn't. But I did take some of them, and was blessed to see God work in the lives of my peers.

2. I Was Mocked

Christianity isn't popular. A person that's sold out for Jesus and striving to live accordingly is going to be made fun of by people who aren't doing the same. And there were innumerable instances when my beliefs stood out among my classmates, and taunting comments were often made (most lightheartedly, but some maliciously.) But the wonderful thing about being mocked is the opportunity it gives one to respond with grace and use that instance to be an example of Jesus to a lost world.

3. I Was Challenged

Many of my peers had extremely well-thought out reasons for rejecting religion, and these would regularly come up in the middle of casual conversations while completing an English assignment. Most times, I had no way to respond to their arguments because I had no knowledge of what they were discussing. This meant I had to dig into whatever topic it was and come to my own conclusions. I personally always saw how everything pointed back to my God, which worked to strengthen my faith and enabled me to speak about my faith with well-reasoned thoughts.

4. I Saw Adult Christians Thrive in a Secular Environment

This is one of the things I am most grateful for from my time at a public school. Obviously, public school teachers are not allowed to discuss their personal beliefs in class without a student directly asking them to, but it was inspiring for me to see teachers who still managed to be shining examples of Christ. Whether it was because of the patience with which they handled difficult students and situations, or the convictions they lived their lives with, everyone knew what these teachers believed in and respected them for how they lived out those beliefs. Through their example, these teachers taught me how to radiate Christ in an environment where you cannot openly preach the Gospel, and I will never be able to thank them enough.

Education in itself is a beautiful thing, regardless of where it takes place. But what's even more beautiful is that we serve a God who is powerful enough to grow us, regardless of which type of school we attend.

What do you think? How did God use the school you attended to shape you into who you are today?