Increase Your Strength, Increase Your GPA

3

Lifting weights has many benefits. For example, you will get leaner, stronger and will just look good. One enormous benefit of weight training most people are not aware of is the effect it has on your mental health. 

As college students, we deal with so many different forms stress, like that test you haven’t studied for or trying to impress that cutie who sits next to you in class. 

Most people don’t realize that weight training has been scientifically proven to increase the size of your muscles and several randomized controlled studies have also proven it increases memory. In addition, weight training improves self-esteem and confidence, which helps everyone accomplish their goals.

Improving memory and confidence are two benefits of lifting that are common knowledge. If you asked a typical gym rat why he trains, he will list reasons such as increased strength, cardio, speed or overall health.  What most people don’t realize is that all of the physical gains you acquire from training can also contribute to your schoolwork.       

People who weight train correctly get progressively stronger or faster and this contributes to increased energy levels throughout the day. If you have more energy during the day, it will be easier to make it through the grueling hours of lectures. You will be alert and aware for a longer period of time, absorb more information and take more from your classes.

“Early to bed and early to rise makes a man health, wealthy and wise,” said Benjamin Franklin. Well, this just proves that Mr. Franklin did not attend OU. One thing we can all agree on is that it isn’t necessarily how long you sleep, but the quality of sleep. Research has also shown that physically active people display healthier sleep patterns and have an improved quality of sleep. I speak from experience when I say that the best sleep that I get is on days when I get in a good workout. Granted, exercise is somewhat dependent on sleep, but you get more out of one when you do the other.

Whether you know it or not, we make investments every day. Money is a renewable form of currency, but our time is not. We have a limited amount of time in the day that we have to spend on things like class, studying, eating and sleeping. If you invest time in weight training, you are investing in your health and the ability to get more out of your time.

Weight training contributes to numerous layers of strength, which is far beyond the realm of your physical muscles. Instead of spending an hour watching Netflix every day, spend one hour lifting at the Huff and tell me how you feel. I guarantee you, at the end of the day you will be a stronger and healthier version of yourself, which will not only increase your GPA, but will also increase the overall quality of your life.

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/RTandMentalHealth.html