Advice Upperclassmen Wish They Could've Given Themselves Freshman Year

Freshmen year will gradually transform you.

100
Ben Duchac

It seems as if each time that I have a moment sit outside and enjoy campus, I see dozens of tour or orientation groups of incoming freshmen students. Some students have a look of pure excitement on their face while others have a look of intimidation. I look back at the unknowing freshmen and become filled with a sense of nostalgia. Due to this feeling, I think back to everything I have learned and wish that somebody could tell them what I know now. I ended up asking friends of mine what they wish they could tell freshmen in college because of what they themselves have learned:

I wish I could tell them to enjoy the time you have because everything only gets harder.

I wish I could tell them to do as many meaningful activities that you can with the people you love while you can manage.

I wish I could tell them to take an opportunity if it is handed to them.

I wish I could tell them to take advantage of the fresh start and the time to be a new person.

I wish I could tell them to make all the friends you can, it’s the only time you can mess up and learn.

I wish I could tell them to not be afraid to take a break from studying and go out.

I wish I could tell them to not feel as if you have to follow a set series of procedures to be successful.

I wish I could tell them to do what you want to do and attend events that you're passionate about.

I wish I could tell them to not feel bad for not liking college. For some, it is just a bump in the road on the way to real life.

I wish I could tell them to enjoy it because it’s your first year of freedom but don’t get too crazy.

I wish I could tell them to not be afraid of treating yourself by going out and having a blast.

I wish I could tell them to major what you want to major in (not what your parents want you to.)

I wish I could tell them to not put too much emphasis on getting straight A's.

I wish I could tell them to enjoy first year events and not stress out.

I wish I could tell them to make friends and have fun; sometimes that's more important than good grades.

I wish I could tell them to join clubs, sports, or greek life during your first year.

I wish I could tell them to talk to as many people in class because it can begin some great friendships.

I wish I could tell them to meet new people.

I wish I could tell them to laugh about stumbling into a morning class.

I wish I could tell them to study less and experience more.

I wish I could tell them to preserve friendships the friendships made during freshman year

I wish I could tell them to surround yourself with people who love you endlessly.

I wish I could tell them to worry less about money and more about experiencing.

I wish I could tell them to preserve every moment: the late nights, spontaneous road trips, the college sports games, the agonizing group projects and the memorable formals.