Advice to Freshmen From a Junior
Education

Advice To Incoming College Freshmen

From a junior who has been through it all.

179
Advice To Incoming College Freshmen

I'll just say it, college is hard. Especially during your first year. Whether you live at home and have it all paid for or you're a thousand miles away from home and falling into debt, whether you have always been a prolific student or you're using secondary education as a second chance, whether you're a student fresh from high school or you're a non-traditional student finally getting themselves a degree, whether you're a social butterfly always in your element or someone looking to open yourself to a new environment, transitioning to college is never easy. It's hard.

It's scary. It can be the best experience ever or the worst time of your life, and there's no way to tell before you get into the swing of it. So here's some advice to anyone starting college for the first time right now.

First, don't be afraid to be afraid. Be open and honest and be yourself. I know "just be yourself" has been reiterated ad nauseum, and will never be any less repetitive to hear, but it's never disingenuous. I'm not saying you should be the same person you've always been, or to keep up any fronts you may have carried throughout high school, I'm saying to really truly open yourself up to everything new. If you don't know who you really are or who you want to be just yet, that's completely fine. Many of us don't when we first turn eighteen and start a new life.

But now is your chance to figure that out. If you are really invested in a persona you've created, think a little more openly about your wants and needs and stop just going with your gut feelings of fear in social situations. If you're an anxious person who always second guesses themselves, then do the opposite and start going with your first instinct in how to act and be. Let yourself become redefined step by step starting from move-in day.

Second, be social. Again, a cliche. But again, I'm not being insincere. I'm not telling you that it's completely required for you to be constantly busy with some sort of social obligation, because that doesn't work for everyone or even most people. But don't stay in your room all day every day, unless you and your roommate are besties.

Try to go somewhere public every once in a while, even if it's just to study in the lobby of your residence hall instead of in your dorm room. I would suggest, at the very least, just spending some time outside when the weather is right and people are enjoying all your campus has to offer. If you are more socially inclined, though, it's never a bad idea to keep updated on events going on and attend them or join a club or three.

Anything to start meeting new people helps with networking and even more importantly it helps with keeping yourself going and growing. Even the hardest things become a little easier with even one friend to occasionally lighten your load.

Third, use your resources. College is a completely different world from high school. High schools typically only care about test scores and graduation rates to make themselves look better. Universities, however, genuinely care about student successes. As a result, there are many different kinds of resources available to anyone who may be struggling.

Academic help centers and free or cheap student tutoring are in abundance, mental health and counseling centers are at many universities and are frequently free for at least a few sessions, or will help you find a professional in your area right for you, and there are frequently divisions of financial aid that will help you find and apply for scholarships to help lighten the load of your school's tuition cost.

Beyond that, professors you'll have will have office hours and are more than willing to get to know you and help you during these times. It may make you nervous to go the first couple times, but eventually, you'll build a good working relationship with your professor and be able to know what they expect from you in class, what you may be struggling with, and where you'll be able to find additional help outside of their office hours.

Don't forget that your academics are important, but also never neglect your physical, mental, or emotional health. Let the help provided to all students at your school help you as well when you need it.

Finally, I'll tell you something not overstated. That something is that you should not be afraid to quit or transfer. Most people will tell you that doing the above things are all you need to realize that college is where you're meant to be. However, college just isn't for everyone.

No matter your reason, if you end up having or wanting to leave your school of choice, even temporarily, do it. Don't put yourself further into debt and stress if the environment of college is negative for you. Don't give up too soon, of course. Try to tough it out a few weeks until you really get a feel for the space around you.

But let yourself be rid of the guilt that may come with deciding on a different life path. Go ahead and enter directly into the workforce, or take a gap year, or do something with a vocational school. My only advice to anyone who needs to drop is to make sure you have a plan afterward, even if that plan is something unconventional and unfocused.

You can lose yourself once you get to college the same as you can find yourself, but you can lose yourself even more if your life becomes completely directionless. Take care of yourself and your future as much as you can, but don't subscribe to a future that you don't want.

College is a new time to do a lot of things, and no one will likely ever stop talking about that. But that talking point has a lot of value to not have been completely worn out at this point. As long as we have secondary education, we will have conversations about that. And as long as we have those conversations, we will have our own flavor of advice to give. This is a taste of mine, and I hope it helps you at least somewhat as you come into this new world.