21 Random BUT Essential Pieces Of Advice For Incoming Aggies

You WILL get sick of Chick-fil-a. I'm sorry. Don't hate me. But it's true.

141
Author's photo

Howdy Ags! So this is one of my favorite type of articles to write. I love giving weird pieces of advice you wouldn't necessarily think about, and this is just that. Most of these will be specific to Texas A&M which will make it even funnier to any non-Aggies reading this! Please enjoy some stream of consciousness bits of advice.

1. Get in the habit of saying "Howdy". Sometimes I'll honestly forget that "Howdy" is a thing. And when I rediscover I can't stop saying it and look like a weirdo if I go outside of College Station saying "Howdy". But it's actually really cool and unique to Texas A&M and I invite you to not forget to say "Howdy".

2. Chill with the t-shirts. I don't mean stop wearing them because Lord knows that is my uniform practically, but don't keep buying them. Ya girl made that mistake buying shirts like they were going out of style, and I don't wear half of them. So just put the brakes on spending all your benjamins at The Warehouse.

3. Wear sunscreen to football games and commit to the shoes you'll wear. You'll hate yourself the next morning when you see a tomato in the mirror and have blisters up and down your feet.

4. Not sure if it's technically not allowed but grab some Tupperware and load up at the dining halls. Again. Not sure if it's against the rules but go for it still lol.

5. Laptop stickers are the window to your soul. Invest in some cute ones from Redbubble. But not too many. Seriously I have an addiction and I need help.

6. Have a towel in your backpack. Whether it's a 12th man towel or not, you'll thank yourself when you start sweating like a hog in July walking to class. Which is unfortunately inevitable for 7 months out of the school year.

7. Spring for the venti coffee at Starbucks. Just do it. Have no shame.

8. Learn the yells and the War Hymn and the Spirit of Aggieland. You're either redass or wrong.

9. Sunglasses will be your best friend, but not just for blocking out the sun. Whether it was a hard night at the library or Northgate, just pop some shades on to hide the luggage under your eyes. Also a great sleeping mask to use in public.

10. T-shirt Tuesdays are a thing at Northgate. Take advantage of them.

11. Be a bootchaser. And be unabashedly so. (if you want to lol this is coming from a bootchaser)

12. Stand during the whole game. If I see you sit I WILL call you out. It's 3 hours of your life, show your redass side.

13. Quiet floors at the library will be your best friend when you need a nap during your study break. This is where the sunglasses come into play.

14. Be that nice person who says they'll watch someone else's stuff while they go to the bathroom in the library, MSC, etc.

15. The Aggie bookstore is expensiveeeeee. I suggest looking for t-shirts and pencils elsewhere.

16. Invest in a jersey. Of any sort. These will come in handy for lots and lots of parties.

17. Take advantage of alllllll the college student discounts every place in town has to offer. $4 movies are the best thing ever. I've seen more movies in the past year than I have in the last 5 years.

18. Know bus routes and the campus map like the back of your hand. While this is quite taxing, it'll help you spend last time wandering aimlessly looking for a class.

19. Halloween costumes are fun. Go all out. I'm a sucker for funny ones, but don't hold back on whatever you're feeling.

20. Be wary of fast food. It's quick, it's cheap, but it'll also become your worst enemy. I know this may shock you, but you WILL get sick of Chick-fil-a. I'm sorry. Don't hate me. But it's true.

21. Go to class and live life to the fullest. You only have 4(ish) years at the best university on Earth. Learn all you can and take some risks.

Thanks and Gig 'em!