In A Woman's World

In A Woman's World

For every woman who reads.
21

Recently, I have realized how hard it is being me. When I say this, I don't mean on a social level; I am referring to me as a woman. At first, I was thinking how hard it is for me to go for a walk around eight or nine p.m. without being stared at. Not only am I stared at in my oversized winter coat, but I can hear voices of men saying what they think are "compliments" or "cute." I find their attempt to lure me rather abrasive and I continue walking without making eye contact or saying anything.

In a moment like this, I am scared. I think to myself, if only a man was here with me to protect me from these other men. Why can't I as a woman feel protected by myself? Not only me, but us. Women everywhere.

Sometimes we feel the need to protect ourselves from other men with a man. This idea is mind boggling to me because the problem is still prevalent. No matter if a man walks the streets with me or not, I am still scared. I am scared that men in our society find it necessary to view women as sexual beings. While I have walked along the streets of any city, I have felt insecure about my surroundings because of men. It's hard being a strong, confident, and beautiful woman with men who only see me for other venues of their desires.

I dedicate this article to women everywhere who struggle with this same thing. The issue is not only happening on streets but in classrooms, workplaces, and basically everywhere. It isn't comforting to know this, but it is true. As a woman, we must be on guard at all times because men might view our gender as a weakness while we see it as our strength. Maybe one day they will view us with the same eyes we see ourselves.

I'm not sure when I will be able to walk the streets alone and feel safe. As a woman, I hope and pray that men will not objectify me (or us) any longer. I am more than my than my gender; I am strong.