Out With The Old, In With The New

Out With The Old, In With The New

Is this a realistic expectation?

108
Out With The Old, In With The New

I'm assuming that most of us have heard the expression: "Out with the old, in with the new." This particular phrase alludes to the concept that we must leave everything old behind and start fresh. I can't help but question why it is necessary to completely let go of these old things and ideas as they carry much value, and have played such an integral role in molding us into the people that we are today. They have also introduced harmony into each of our lives and have provided us with new opportunities to create a better future for ourselves. It is certainly not healthy to dwell on the past but it is quite acceptable to take time and reminisce.

The past is priceless. Because of this, it makes the former years of our lives even more unforgettable. A famous quote by John Banville, author of "The Sea," reads, "The past beats inside me like a second heart." These words should allow for us to be mindful of our past experiences whether they were memorable or unenjoyable, as they are essentially building blocks that validate how far we've come.

We need to be conscious of the fact that the past and future go hand-in-hand, but as for the present, we must make the most of the time that we still have since it doesn't last forever. I believe that this idea of being "in with the new" means for us to strive in the state of life that we are currently in. Matthew 6:34 tells us: "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Never forget to cherish what you have left behind or what lies ahead; doing so will cause you to miss being in with the new.