In The Midst Of Spring Semester, Don't Forget To Relax

You deserve rest. In fact, you need it!

10
giorgi sharvashidze

It’s spring semester in the middle of April. You might be anticipating the slow increase of temperature as you dream of summer days, soaking up the sun. Or, you’re incredibly bothered that there is no more snow on the ground, growing more and more uncomfortable as the temperature ticks higher and higher. Whatever the case, the changes of weather plus the stress of everything else placed before you in the months before graduation (for some) or summer (for the rest of us) can leave you worn out and unmotivated. Now, what I’m about to tell you may shock you or you’re going to think I’m crazy.

Take a day or two to just focus on yourself! I know, I know, you’re thinking “Um, hello, you don’t understand how much homework I have due or how many projects I need to work on. I have no time for relaxing right now.” Trust me, my pile of procrastinated homework and projects totally understand where you’re coming from. However, if you want energy, motivation, and maybe a bit of inspiration to finish out your Spring semester, you’ll want to listen to what I have to say.

Remember to let yourself breathe.

It’s all good to work hard while you’re in college. In fact, you should work hard at everything you do. But it’s OK to take a breather. Having a never-ending list of to-do’s and attempting to complete them all without breaks will stress you out even more. Make sure while you’re studying to take breaks! Eat a snack, go for a walk, or listen to some music that will pump you up for your next assignment. Grab a glass of lemon water and maybe a cup of coffee before you sit back down and finish your assignments with more energy than before.

Center yourself spiritually again.

Whether you’re a religious being or not, this step can be very important. Some use meditation or physical activity such as Yoga to relax their body, mind, and spirit. I personally take a few minutes to pray, listen to and participate in worship, or read my Bible to re-focus spiritually. This can be huge encouragement in the midst of a stressful time.

Take a second to do something you love.

If you need a break, whether it’s an hour or a day, take time to do something you love! Do a physical activity like running, biking, or longboarding. Draw something! If you aren’t super artistic, buy one of those coloring books — they’re created to be therapeutic and relaxing! Take your camera or phone out for a nature photo shoot. Find a friend to have a quick cup of coffee with. The options are endless! The trick is — find something that you enjoy that will help de-stress.

Take care of yourself.

This might be the hardest step for some people. To any guy reading this — I’m not sure if you spend a ton of time grooming, so this is mostly for the ladies. Ladies — go to the store and buy your favorite face mask, nail polish, hair mask, and maybe even buy a bath bomb! Take a day to totally pamper yourself. Bathe with a bath bomb consisted of natural oils specifically to help you relax. Lush is a great place to get one! Maybe even put on some tunes and have a glass of wine (if you’re of age) to make the atmosphere that much more relaxing.

I know that there are plenty of other ways to relax your mind and de-stress in the midst of spring semester. You do what you know is best! Not all of these tips will work for everyone, but it may give you an idea of an activity. The point is — if you forget to take care of yourself, it is possible that you will get even more stressed and anxious than you already are. So, take care of yourself. At the very least, take an hour to collect yourself and do something fun. Happy spring!