In the Midst of Midterms...

In the Midst of Midterms...

A little piece of advice to get you through to finals.

3
In the Midst of Midterms...
Her Campus

It's coming up to the end of October and that means that were are in the midst, or in the middle of midterms (depending on your class schedule). It's a terrible, scary, stressful time for us college students and I am here to try to remind you all of something very important.

One test does not define you. Two tests do not define you. A bad paper does not define you. Do not let other people allow you to think that this is true.

No matter what happens with your grades, you will be ok. For my whole college career, I have been so high-strung about grades, to the point where I have made myself sick over them. I am learning now how completely and utterly awful it is to do that to myself. To get oneself sick over a number on a piece of paper is blasphemous, when thought about abstractly. What matters most in the world is your health: physical and mental. People often overlook their mental health and claim that "everything is fine", when in reality, they are crashing from the pressure they are putting themselves under. It will do you no benefit to pressure yourself in this way.

There are plenty of reasons to want to excel in your studies, but they are not the defining aspect of your character. Especially in today's society, employers and the general public look at the "whole picture". If you got an A on that midterm paper, that is great. However, if that's the only thing that people see about you, it will not work in your favor. Contrary to the past, numbers are not used to determine the full intelligence or competency of people. People look at your professionalism, your presentation as an adult, your involvement in the community (on & off campus), your prior work experience, and even your personal history. There are so many other things that are incorporated into a human being that it is impossible to judge a person solely based on a number. It is more important that you keep yourself healthy and able to take your midterms, instead of beating yourself up until you cannot go any further.

So, in the midst of midterms, stay positive. Prioritize. Schedule your study time wisely and make sure that you are doing as much as you can handle. Schedule time for yourself and for your friends. Go into your exams with confidence, knowing that you prepared as much as you knew how to. Go into your exams knowing you had a good night's sleep last night. Go into your exams sure of yourself and willing to admit your own mistakes, should you make them.

This is life. No one expects you to be perfect, and there is a lot of value in someone who can admit when they are wrong, and use their imperfections to better themselves. So, in the midst of midterms, remember this.