In Preparation For Sophomore Year

In Preparation For Sophomore Year

Because it's not always all about the freshmen.

2
In Preparation For Sophomore Year
Breakth

When you step out of your car on move in day, onto the all too familiar pavement of your college's parking lot, it will feel like nothing has changed at all. People will be rushing past you with suitcases and storage bins, and your family will soon blend in with the rest of the hectic families.

Move in day will be a lot of the same. Figuring out how to arrange your room so you have enough space, trying to unpack as much as possible even with your family taking up all the room. The next few days will feel natural. You'll meet with your friends that you haven't seen since finals and you'll eat in your favorite dining hall.

However, as the first week of classes comes around the changes will start to settle in. No longer are you the youngest ones at the school. A whole new set of kids will learn how to survive without their parents and in the dorms that you and your friends once pranced around in, made all your memories in. Finally, you'll be on the other side of things.

The first few weeks they will be the kings and queens of campus, constantly being invited to all kinds of welcome week events with free food and free shirts. Maybe you can even pass as one just too get some of those free perks, I know I will.

After that, these freshmen will be looking to you for advice and for a helping hand. Just put yourself in their shoes. It should be relatively easy because it hasn't been that long since you've actually been in them. You know the ins and the outs of your campus life and they have no clue how any of this works. Don't laugh at them, don't make fun. Be a friend.

Sophomore year is that awkward middle child year of college. You aren't the babies anymore, so no one is doting on you. You aren't the oldest, getting ready for graduation or a big internship. This is the year that you can really focus on yourself without all that background noise.

The following is all of the things that your parents will say to you, but coming from someone you barely know maybe you'll listen better. Study a lot, but not enough to make you crazy. Remember to let loose once in a while because you don't always have to keep your nose in a book. Eat healthy and workout! The freshman 15 is real, but I've heard so is the sophomore twenty.

Don't stress out too much. Take breaks from studying and get back to it when you feel ready. Turn your assignments in on time. Do the extra credit! If you get homesick, just call your family. If you don't get homesick, don't forget to call your family. They miss you too.

Look back at your freshmen year and learn from the mistakes you made and you will be fine this upcoming academic year. Sophomore year is going to be a breeze as long as you apply yourself and stay motivated.