In Mememorium: Frank Ocean Memes

In Mememorium: Frank Ocean Memes

Looking back at the end of an era

232
In Mememorium: Frank Ocean Memes
www.theindependent.co.uk

So after four long years, Frank Ocean has finally released a follow-up album (actually, two albums) to his much beloved debut Channel Ocean. You probably already know this since it's been all the internet has been talking about lately. A lot has already been said on the subject, so I'm not going to review the album (I really enjoyed it) or talk about what Frank or his music means to me personally, since no one wants to read me being that sentimental. Instead, I'm going to talk about the period between "Channel Orange" and "Blond(e)."

It became a seemingly endless cycle of a date for the album being released and then having it be delayed over and over. Every time we got our hopes up, and every time would be let down, so we all coped the only way we could: making memes about it.

It became kind of comforting, in a masochistic way. Like the fact that the sun would rise every morning, we could be sure that Frank would never drop that @&$! album, and for years nothing changed. That was until he began streaming himself building a staircase on the 1st of August 2016. At first I, like many others, was skeptical that this even meant anything and just assumed he was messing with us again. But when he dropped "Endless," his visual album, everything changed. For the first time in what had felt like an eternity, there was new Frank Ocean music.

And as if that wasn't enough, he released a second album, "Blond" (or "Blonde," I don't know and neither does anyone else). The great Frank Ocean hiatus didn't end with a whisper, but a bang.

Although I'm immensely grateful for the new music, it's bittersweet to me because it's the end of a meme. Normally, memes fade slowly away after they become annoying, but this one died suddenly, without giving us a chance to truly mourn. I, for one, am going to kind of miss them. RIP Frank Ocean memes, you had a good long run, but your time has come to an end.