In Case You Missed It: Oscars 2017

In Case You Missed It: Oscars 2017

What you missed from film's biggest night. The wins, the fashion, and the dramatic disaster.

12
In Case You Missed It: Oscars 2017
Award Stream

Oscar Sunday is known as film's biggest night, and the 89th Academy Award show did not disappoint. Some won big, most looked amazing, and everyone felt uncomfortable when the biggest blunder in Oscar history occurred. If you missed it, get caught up on the unforgettable night.

Best Wins

The Oscars, while embodying much more, are first and foremost an awards show. The Oscars are voted on by The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to the best films of the year. Here are the biggest winners of the 2017 awards.

Emma Stone - Best Actress

The award for Best Actress went to Emma Stone for her portrayal of a young musician in "La La Land." Stone's first Oscar award was a long time coming, as she has been acting in Hollywood for all of her adult life. (Side note: notice the Planned Parenthood pin on the right side of her dress!)

Casey Affleck - Best Actor

Casey Affleck took home the Best Actor award for "Manchester by the Sea." Although the drama was critically acclaimed, Affleck's win came with backlash. Affleck has a past history of sexual harassment, including a pair of lawsuits against him. Brie Larson, for instance, stood in solidarity and did not clap for Affleck's win.

Viola Davis - Best Supporting Actress

Viola Davis' much-deserved win for "Fences" came with an emotional acceptance speech. She started with, "You know, there’s one place that all the people with the greatest potential are gathered. One place, and that’s the graveyard." She continued on to describe why art and acting are important to her in a memorable speech.

Mahershala Ali - Best Supporting Actor

Perhaps the most groundbreaking win of the night went to Mahershala Ali, the first Muslim actor to win an Oscar award. He won for his work in "Moonlight."

Moonlight - Best Picture

The most buzz-worthy win of the night went to "Moonlight" for Best Picture. "Moonlight," a small film about a young black man growing up in Miami, is one of the smallest grossing films to win the award throughout the years, but also one of the most important.

Best Dressed

Besides the awards, the Oscars are a time for celebrities to show off their best looks of the year. Here are the dresses that rocked the red carpet this year.

Taraji P. Henson

Taraji P. Henson, who many know best as Cookie in the series "Empire," wowed in this velvet Alberta Ferreti gown while supporting her nominated movie, "Hidden Figures."

Janelle Monáe

Janell Monáe, who was in both "Moonlight" and "Hidden Figures," is famous for wearing menswear on the red carpet. But, instead, stunned in an iconic Elie Saab dress for the Oscars.

Ruth Negga

Ruth Negga, a 2017 Best Actress nominee, wowed on the red carpet in a custom Valentino dress. She accessorized with beautiful jewelry and made a statement with a blue American Civil Liberties Union ribbon.

Best (and worst) Moments

And, of course, the reason everyone actually watches the Oscars: for the unforgettable moments.

Best Picture Blunder

In what will go down as the biggest mistake in Oscar history, acting legends Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty announced the wrong winner for the most important award of the night. The dramatic scene unfolded live: The Best Picture presenters were given the wrong envelope, announcing "La La Land" as the mistaken winner. And it wasn't until after the movie's producers had made speeches that they realized the real winner of Best Picture was "Moonlight." The mishap closed the awards show uneasily, with speculations and blame being thrown since.

Justin Timberlake Opens The Show

One of the more positive moments of the 2017 Oscar Awards was Justin Timberlake's opening. He sang his hit, "Can't Stop The Feeling," which was nominated for Best Original Song for the animated movie "Trolls." Although it ended very differently, JT started the show off on a high note.