Is English Your Second Language?

All over the world, people are learning English as a second language. While learning the words may be easier through memorization, learning the grammar is a little more difficult. However, there are a few ways you can make it a little easier on yourself. Here are four ideas to help you improve grammar skills when learning English as a second language.

Practice with Friends and Neighbors

Friends and neighbors can be a great asset when you are trying to improve grammar skills. Many of your friends will already have great grammar as English is their first language. If English is their second language, they will have already advanced in their English language skills as well. This means they can help you immensely. Sit and talk with them so you can learn proper syntax. Write practice sentences down and have them correct them. Have them give you basic assignments and have them show you what is proper and why, to the best of their knowledge.

Get a Pen Pal

When English is your second language, learning proper grammar is all about practice. The best way to do this is to have more people to practice with, especially when writing. What better way to do this than with a pen pal. You can have pen pals in your city, in your state, in your country, or even around the world. Some of these can be done through email and some even through “snail mail” sending traditional letters through the post. Whichever you want to do, just be sure to check all your grammar rules so you are making this into a learning process for yourself. Find a pen pal and have some fun learning about then as well as proper English grammar.

Go to School

There’s no better way to learn English grammar, especially when English is your second language, than by actually going to school. As an ESL (English as a Second Language) student, you get all the proper attention you need to be able to learn everything from spelling, grammar, and more. Classes are structured around the issues that instructors know ESL students will struggle with when they are learning English. You will also have a comradery with other students in the class as you are all learning the same things and you can study together.

Create a Study Plan

Speaking of studying, it is important to create a solid study plan. By creating a schedule around studying, knowing what you will study and when, you set yourself up for success. You should also keep yourself accountable by letting as many people know about your study plan as possible. If they know about it, they can follow up with you about your progress. They can also help you practice if you need to, as friends, neighbors, or family can do. They can even help you find a pen pal.

While creating a study plan around self-study and practicing with friends, maybe even writing e-mails and letters to pen pals is great, you may need something more. In fact, you may need to go back to school and enroll in ESL classes. You will meet other students going after the same education as you. You will also learn in an environment structured around the difficulties you may face as an ELS student.