Why It's Important To Stay True To Yourself At College

But still have fun.

179
Fanart

If you're like me and most other college students, you are in the middle of one of the most transformational stages in your life. The choices made, the things that are done, the people you associate with, will all have a pretty lasting impact in shaping the type of adult you become. It's easy to become caught up in stress and other factors while away at school, but it'll all be okay if staying true to yourself is a daily raminder.

What makes you, you?

What drives you? What is it that's always in the back of your head keeping the engines going, what are the core values that make sense? Before you can be comfortable portraying yourself to the world, you have to be comfortable and knowledgable with who YOU really are. Once a solid foundation is established it will be hard for the ego-building machine that is college life to get to you. Do you have a weird button collection that no one appreciates or even understands? Or do you listen to an obscure k-pop group? Good. These things are essential to who your being, and being at peace with that will melt away stress and lead to a happier college lifestyle.

What are your goals?

As soon as your driving force is found, it should be a walk in the park to figure out what your goals are based off of that. What do you strive to achieve? Short-term and long-term goals are essential to making sure you stay true to yourself and don't get distracted. Now I've had more than my fair share of fun in college so don't take this as a "lesson" on not to go out and party or have crazy adventures with your friends. DO all of those things. It's important to allow your heart and soul to grow alongside your brain. Just balance them. Learn to balance all the intricate workings that is your college life and you will grow in more ways than can be dreamed of.

Know that you matter, you can contribute to this earth, you have value.

You are surrounded by some of the brightest human beings of your generation, as well as some of the most close-minded. Find something to do as a daily ritual to remind yourself of your goals, to decompress after a night of partying to shift back on path. Think of a compass as an analogy. After so much use, you must reset it in the right direction. It's not a bad thing, just most people don't take the time to do daily tuning such as meditation.

College is one of the best experiences of your life and I encourage everyone to experience as much of it as they can, just take care of yourself in the process so you come out strong mentally as well as in your sense of self.