Why It Is So Important For Us To Spread God's Word

Sharing God's Word can be an uncomfortable thing, so if you've ever struggled with it, you're not alone.

26448

Wherever you are in your walk with the Lord, I'm sure that you have heard the importance of sharing the Word with others. Maybe you've heard the pastor at your church preach this message a couple of times or maybe you know it in your heart that it's what we are called to do. Either way, sharing the Word is an important principle of Christianity. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's an easy thing to do. Most of the time Christians understand the importance of sharing the Word, but really struggle with actually going out and doing it. The thoughts of "I'm not qualified to do that" or "No, that's too scary, God can use other people than me" consume many Christians' heads and maybe that's where you're at.

Don't worry because you are not alone.

Whether it be because you don't know how to start that kind of conversation with others, it makes you feel uncomfortable, or you just don't want to do it, sharing the gospel can be an issue for many people.

There are even accounts in the Bible where people have struggled with this call to action. Jonah was called to go to Nineveh (a very wicked and evil city) to preach the Word of the Lord to its people so that they may be saved. Because Jonah didn't feel comfortable and was afraid, he fled from the Lord. Peter, one of Jesus's 12 disciples, denied Him three times because he was afraid that he would get killed for admitting to being one of His followers.

This isn't an uncommon fear.

Sharing the gospel isn't supposed to be a comfortable thing, but we're called to not conform to the ways of the world. We are called to step outside of our comfort zone to share the Word of Christ with others so that they may be able to call Him Lord and Savior.

John 14:6 says "Jesus said to them 'I am the way, the truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father except through me.'" What happens to the people who never get the opportunity to learn about Jesus? They don't get the chance to know Him and that's why we are called to do something about it.

In Matthew 28:18-20, it says, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the Holy Spirit and teaching them all that I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Now, these were the last words that Jesus said to His disciples before He ascended into Heaven; usually when someone is saying their last words, they make them important. He instructed them to go out and "make disciples of all nations." So whether it's by talking with your next door neighbor or going to another country, God wants us to use every opportunity that we can to tell others about Him.

You may be thinking, "How do I do that?"

Be willing and available for God to use you to minister to those around you. Press into Him so that when He gives you an opportunity like that, you'll be ready. If you're completely willing for God to use you, He'll move others through you. It doesn't require a complex sermon; it can just be you sharing your own story with someone on what God has done for you in your life. It's being Christlike to others and letting His light shine through you so that people notice that you're different and want what you have.

If you struggle with that fear and feelings of anxiety and discomfort, take it to the Lord. Ask Him to deal with you heart so that you'll be able to do what He has called you to do. Don't let the fear of being rejected overcome you because even Jesus was rejected. Matthew 5:11-12 says, "Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." God recognizes that not every is going to want to hear what you say, but sometimes all it takes is for you to plant the seed, and He will do the rest.

God tells us that when we take that step of faith to share the gospel with others, He's with us always. Sharing the Word is important not only because it's what we are called to do, but it also gives us a better understanding of Christ. In Philemon 1:6, Paul says, "I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ." It helps us grow in Him and recognize all that He has done and is doing for us in our lives.

So are you ready to be willing for God to work through you?

If so, therefore go.