Why It's Important To Have A Little Faith

The only thing more dangerous that fear is hope, and the only thing more dangerous that hope is faith.

86

''Faith'' is a provocative concept; even without context, the word may spark discussion, argument and even war. According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, faith can be defined as, "a strong belief in someone or something.'' So, how can a simple word cause so much trouble, confusion, debate and conflict?

It's quite simple really: what, or who, do you have faith in?

There is a book by Mitch Album entitled "Have A Little Faith" in which Albom discusses his eight-year journey of reconnecting with an old friend/mentor, discovering that all walks of finding faith are different and learning that the idea of ''faith'' isn't necessarily always tied to religion. He also talks about how having a little faith is important.

Ask yourself: who or what do I have faith in? Do I have faith in anything? The thing is, faith is tied to trust. They are not interchangeable, but are related in the way that conjoined twins are related; its difficult to have one but not the other. If you have faith in someone or something, you have committed to putting your trust in that person or thing.

Yes, this can be scary. What if that person or that idea fails you? What if faith fails you? This has to be a risk you are willing to take because faith inspires. It inspires joy. It inspires ideas. It inspires adventure, relationships and life. Faith also inspires fear.

It is important to have a little faith in something outside or bigger than the familiar world to which you have become accustomed. I have faith in biology and science because they give us a look into an unknown and undiscovered world. I have faith in books, both fiction and nonfiction, because either way they tell a story, inform and stimulate thought. I have faith in my friends and family, that they will support and comfort me through the good times and the bad. I have faith in my teammates, coaches, classmates and school. I have faith in something bigger than myself. And, subsequently, I trust all of these people and ideas.

It is important to have a little faith because it opens yourself up to new ideas, relationships and personal growth. So what if faith fails you? Are you going to give up and shut down? Faith also inspires resiliency and strength. Faith makes you stronger mentally, physically and emotionally. An individual you had faith in to support you, trust you and respect you betrays you, demeans you or rejects you ... What do you do? You use the faith you have in yourself to prove them wrong and make yourself better.

Having faith does not make you weak. Placing your faith and trust in something bigger or outside yourself does not make you naive. It makes you human.

Have a little faith. Whether if be in a higher being or a friend next door, have a little faith. Whether it be in an intangible idea or a good book, have a little faith.

Trust, believe, inspire, do good and have a little faith in yourself. That, above all else, is the most important.