The Importance Of Having A Part-Time Job

How working now can help you when working in the future.

Every job has a purpose and for someone, somewhere is of importance. Kids all across the nation are enrolled in classes at hundreds of universities in order to one day obtain a job they enjoy. Working is how we will pay for bills, support ourselves, and simply make a living in the future. Many college-aged kids have part-time jobs; the reason they have these jobs can vary from getting experience for a future job they want to needing a job to pay their way through school. Part-time jobs are important; without waiters or waitresses how would you eat out at restaurants? Without cashiers how would you buy anything from any store?

I get asked all the time if I like my part-time job. Being a college kid working at a grocery store, I like my job as much as a college kid would. The people I work with are easy to talk to and get along with, the money I get helps pay for my bills, and I’m gaining experience in the workforce; however, one day I plan to get a job in what I am going to school for.

Many times my friends will be busy doing something and I will be working nights or weekends. I’ve been asked several times, “well, why can’t you just take off?” or told, “just don’t show up.” While I could take off or not show up for work, that isn’t good practice. I see a part-time job as an important stepping stone to any job you may have in the future. While I get that I am young and should have some fun, I also understand that by not going into work that changes management’s opinion of me as an employee and is also lost money for me.

Your part-time job might not be one of your favorite things or maybe you don’t have one at all, but I think having a part-time job is very important. By holding a job and going to school proves you can juggle things and prioritize what needs to get done. Having a job also gives you a new appreciation for money and how long it actually takes to make $100. A job, such as cashiering, gives you experience with money, customer service, and other basic skills that can be applied to almost any job. While a part-time job may not be directly related to the field you are interested in, aspects of the job can help you gain experience and look good for future employers.

A part-time job isn’t the most important thing in your life, but I think it is important to have one. Some people may think it's a waste of time or that they're wasting their youth, but I have never seen it that way. Most people have a goal at what they want to be and one day they hope to achieve that. They work hard in school and get good grades. I too have aspirations for what I want to be; I am just working towards them while in school and while on the job.