The Lost Importance Of Scriptures

The Lost Importance Of Scriptures

Have we become so modern that we have forgotten our origin?

415
Breaking in the habit

When a particular group of people or community worships one particular God or when a community followed the ways of one God, they created a religion for themselves. And slowly, many religions were formed by many groups of people who worshiped their Gods.

Every religion has its own sacred stories of their God’s creations, which are holy scriptures. For example, Hindus – Bhagwat Gita, Ramayana; Muslims – Quran; Christians – Bible; and so on. Scriptures are important because it defines the nature of a religion, and religions are important because it defines the background of its followers.

Having the knowledge of one’s religion’s scriptures is a magnificent way of knowing the words of God. Scripture is the method of God, through which God conveys the messages to its followers or worshipers. Scriptures have the knowledge of good and the evil.

Scriptures teaches the readers that one should obey God and follow His path. It makes man righteous, generous and shows the moral ways to find salvation. It sets the limitations on one’s deeds. Holy writings are also a good way for the future generations to know the history of their religion or their ancestors. For instance, one would want his/her children to have a right path in their lives, and religious books can set right methods for them.

One could also read scriptures as a simple book, just to gain knowledge or as a part of history and literature.

Scriptures are a way of bringing peace and calmness in one’s life. In the time of hardships, depression, loneliness or when a person feels lost, God has given all the answers to a man’s questions in the holy books or scriptures. Every person can relate to some or the other stories mentioned in the sacred books and find the solutions to his/her problems. For instance, in the Bible, Adam and Eve’s son Cain out of anger and jealously murders his own brother Abel (4:1-16), this shows the readers, that in this modern materialistic world man has become so mean that he is not scared to kill his own blood-ones. It teaches that one should be patient, be satisfied with his work, and instead of being jealous of someone else, one should work hard to achieve the desired award or success. And one who gets his hand dirty by doing the wrong deeds, God never forgives him and punishes him and his future generations to come.

Everyone should respect the scriptures or holiness of others’ religion. For, when you give respect, you earn respect.