People First Language

People First Language

The Media is Not Using People First Language, why should they?

558
People First Language
Best Buddies

Out of all of the minority groups in the United States, the one minority group that faces the most discrimination and least amount of human rights in the nation is the population of individuals who are physically, mentally and emotionally disabled.

As a huge human rights activist, I have taken on the role of being a part of the community that raises awareness to those that have disabilities. I am a part of a couple of organizations that represent these individuals and not only raise awareness to their discrimination but as well as create friendships with these individuals that equally benefits both people in the friendship. The one lesson that I will always carry with me is that just because a person has a disability does not mean they are any less human. These individuals are capable and determined just like those that are deemed “normal” in society. They work hard towards reaching their goals and have dreams for themselves they intend on reaching. The question at hand is why does the media so strongly depict these individuals as less than what they truly are? Now some are confused as to how I am saying this. Our reliable news sources are, for the main part global sources that extend to just about everyone, they are meant to be trustworthy and honest. And although we know that there is corruption behind the media, I have come to learn that media sources are not politically correct with the minority group of people with disabilities.

The media fails to use people-first language, which results in belittling a human and pinning them to a specific trait rather than who they truly are. For example, I am not the brown-haired girl. I am the girl with brown hair. The characteristic comes after mentioning the individual because I am more than just a person with brown hair. sources such as local news channels, CNN, BBC, and VICE news have all decided to take it upon themselves to not use people first language. They are mentioning the community of those with disabilities as just their disability. The autistic person, rather than the person that has autism. We are not our abilities, we are not our disabilities. The media needs to own up to their mistakes and continue in working to stop the discrimination that is already so apparent yet is being swept under the rug.

Through raising awareness, we would influence the media to begin to use people first language. After taking to the polls, I realized that out of the 100 people I polled 56% did not even know what people first language was. Those that knew about it and decided to use it were individuals who either work with the minority group or are a part of it. Erick Ramirez, a student at Florida International University is a current President of Best Buddies at FIU, former Director of Service to the Ability Experience at Theta Delta, and has cycled his way through the state of Florida to raise awareness and funds for the minority group. To him, those that have disabilities have so much more to offer to us than we know, he has met and created friendships with people who have forever changed his life. “People-first language is important because it adds another layer of respect to populations which are becoming more active in today's society. I was introduced to people-first language through the Ability Experience, which taught me that people with disabilities should not be characterized or limited by their condition. These individuals are finding more and more roles in society and should be encouraged through mutual respect in language and dialogue,” said Ramirez.

It is our duty to continue to raise awareness, to force the media to start using people first language. It is our responsibility to properly represent these individuals and empower them to achieve all of their goals, knowing that all other minority groups, of all kinds of people, are right there behind them.