The Importance Of Helping Others

The Importance Of Helping Others

Community service; an act that has been ingrained in me from early on. Between my mother, nanny and grandmother, helping those in need was just something we did.

1976
The Importance Of Helping Others
Unsplash

From a young age, we were always taught to be thankful for what we have and to give to those that don't. That life lesson will be a key factor in my foundation as an individual for as long as I live. The act of community service is something I intend to pass down to my children (if I have any) and most definitely something I promote today.

As citizens of this pop cultured influenced global community it is very easy to get caught up in the glamorous lives of celebrities and aspire to obtain such luxuries, but in doing that we lose sight of what we do have and how lucky we are to have whatever that it.

Growing up my mother used to tell me, "there are always going to be people who have more than you and people who have less than you.". It really allowed me to put things into perspective and truly acknowledge my privilege. Being raised by strong women who believed in values surrounding that lesson formed me into an individual who is more impressed by substance and knowledge, than materialistic property.

Helping others shouldn't be something you do once a year but should be ingrained into your lifestyle. It could be expressed through volunteering at your local homeless shelter or even holding the door for the person walking behind you. Being courteous and caring to those you do not necessarily know can truly be effective.

I was blessed enough to have an amazing mentor through high school who not only shared my love for helping others but fostered the growth of it. She is truly the epitome of a public servant; she not only often participates in community service on her free time but uses her platform as an educator to encourage her students, the future of this country to engage in public service. As a teacher she was great, but as a public servant, activist, and mentor, she exceeds the expectation every time.

Participating in the initiatives and events ran by larger organizations is great; but if you feel that there is a cause that hasn't been addressed, do not hesitate to take the initiative and do something about it. My freshman year it was a class project to come up with a community service project, and you would be surprised at the amount of change a class of freshman can make with a little bit of help from a teacher.

We collected pre-packaged lunch bags filled with non-perishable food items and distributed them to self-identified low-income students throughout the school district. It was an extremely successful service project entirely backed by students. When it comes to doing the right thing, age is not an obstacle and shouldn't be seen as one. Do not let the lack of resources or knowledge on something prohibit you from helping people, ask for help and keep pushing the idea if it is something that is truly significant to you.

Helping others isn't solely subjective to community service, but simply assisting others in the tasks of their daily lives. Picking things up for people who have dropped something, helping that freshman find the main office, teaching your grandma how to use Facebook; all of these are examples of things you can do that are not necessarily considered community service, but they do make someone's life easier.

Putting positive energy out into the world will not only benefit the person you are helping, but it can benefit you in the long run. Being nice to others is more likely to influence them to continue the trend and overall fostering a more pleasant environment for us to live in.

Respecting others and being kind can go a long way, for you do not know what people have going on in their personal lives. That small act of kindness can make someone's day brighter, and on the other hand, that small snarky remark you made to that classmate of yours solely because you were having a bad day can truly affect them as well. Everyone has bad days and blows off steam differently, but simply be mindful of your actions for there is no way for you to know how everyone is doing.